Select to view content in your preferred language

Need help determining if ArcGIS is right for our project

10-16-2018 05:20 PM
YuukiTakegawa
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm the project manager for an enterprise web application and I'm having a hard time trying to understand if ArcGIS is right for us.

Our application uses a RESTful api to transmit data between users and our database. For most of the products life mapping was a secondary concern as our application mostly focused on non spatial data, and so we have been using openstreetmap and leaflet for our basic needs.

When using spatial data, a user will be shown a map with markers for all locations (location coords pulled from api), select some qualifiers for what they want to see on the map (i.e. only show markers for locations in x province, defined by a static geojson file), and then save those sites for future use (sending those sites to the api to be saved in the database as associated with that user).

As we expand the mapping functionality we want to consider if the number of locations grow and more complex polygons that define spatial boundaries (averaging around 50k pairs of coords per polygon). However, the overhead on doing this in openstreenmap and leaflet is far too much, making it very slow for users, especially when trying to determine if a location is within such a complex polygon dynamically.

After getting a demo of the desktop version of ArcGIS from our geological researches, ArcGIS is obviously far superior for at building and manipulating maps. But, for us to consider it for development it must be possible for it to pull data from our API, rather than connecting to the actual database, especially as, as far as I can tell, our database, Neo4j, is not capable of direct connection. Furthermore, it should be possible for us to develop a UI that users can use to manipulate that map and access data about the locations on the map, finally sending another request to the api to save those locations, preferably all in Javascript.

I apologize if this is already clearly explained somewhere. I attempted to Google the above questions but was having a hard time finding answers, and much of the documentation I found seemed to be from years ago and out of date.

0 Kudos
0 Replies