Major bug in Zonal Stats?

Jump to solution
08-11-2015 11:52 AM
GüntherGrill
New Contributor III

I am using ArcGIS 10.2.2 to determine zonal statistics for a number of zones. If there is any NoData in the value raster, I want the zone results to be "NoData", precisely as advertised by the tools description. This tool description states:

"

DATA — Within any particular zone, only cells that have a value in the input Value raster will be used in determining the output value for that zone. NoData cells in the Value raster will be ignored in the statistic calculation.

NODATA — Within any particular zone, if any NoData cells exist in the Value raster, it is deemed that there is insufficient information to perform statistical calculations for all the cells in that zone; therefore, the entire zone will receive the NoData value on the output raster.

"

Please have a look at my setup in this picture:

Zonal.png

I am using the NODATA option with a value raster that has one NoData pixel, and therefore expect the resulting zone value (zone 61154) to be 'NoData'. Instead, I get a value of 12.74 (rounded to 13 in the image), which confuses me on two levels: First, I expected 'NoData', and second, the resulting value of 12.74 is mathematically impossible, because the mean cannot be larger than the maximum value in the value raster, which is 10 in this case.

If I am using the DATA option, I get a value of about 9.1, which makes sense. We tested this on different datasets, computers, and ArcGIS versions.

The 'Count' attribute is also wrong for that particular zone. There are indeed 421 cells in that zone, but the tool only counted 297. Calculating 421 minus 297 results in 124 - oddly enough, this is the "position" where the NoData pixel is located, if one counts the pixels from upper left to lower right in the zone. The tool might be getting the cell count wrong (too low), which might explain the increase of the average.

see also: Major bug in ArcGIS Zonal statistics? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange where someone already confirmed the issue

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Andreas
New Contributor III

I have 10.4.1 now and is there still a bug? If I calculated ZonalStatisticsAsTable with the data supplied by Günther Grill, calculations with parameter ignore_nodata set to "DATA" my result set contains nine rows, otherwise, set to NODATA, it contains eight rows. Does that mean ignore the whole zone if there is nodata in it?

0 Kudos