How do I connect to sde on SQL Server 2014. I can't find a 2014 SQL Native Client and ArcCatalog won't connect with 2012 Native Client.

06-17-2015 10:12 AM
JayFlorey
New Contributor II

How do I connect to an sde geodatabase on SQL Server 2014 from ArcCatalog 10.3? I can't find a 2014 SQL Native Client and ArcCatalog won't connect with 2012 Native Client. I get this error:

"Failed to connect to database.

Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not compatible with the SQL Server database server."

0 Kudos
4 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

According to Microsoft "SQL Server 2014 installs SQL Server 2012 Native Client. There is no SQL Server 2014 Native Client."

What's New in SQL Server Native Client

Esri states that SQL Server 2014 is compatible with ArcGIS 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.3

System Requirements

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.3.x—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

What version of the ArcGIS Software are you currently using?

-Steven

0 Kudos
JayFlorey
New Contributor II

Hi Steven,

Thanks for the reply. I am using ArcCatalog 10.3. I found the same things you did. I do have Native Client 2012 installed on the machine, and ran a repair on it this morning just to make sure. It seems as though ArcCatalog doesn't recognize that the 2012 Native Client is valid for connection to 2014 SQL Server because the versions are different.

Regards,

Jay

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

I have had issues with other components of ArcGIS, specifically Server, where I installed SQL server native client after ArcGIS Server was installed and it wouldn't let me create a data store connection.  I had to completely reinstall Server to fix this.

I wonder if the same could be said about Desktop.  I would try reinstalling ArcGIS Desktop to see if it would fix the issue.

Also, I have been told repairing operations only replaces DLL files and such and may not fix the issue.

-Steven

0 Kudos
ThibautDelaere1
Occasional Contributor

I had the same issue with ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1.

Solution is to use the MS ODBC instead of the Native Client.

Better Practice:  Connect to SQL Server from ArcGIS Using MS ODBC

0 Kudos