Feature service requires a registered database

Jump to solution
08-26-2015 12:49 PM
SteveBurdette
Occasional Contributor

I have recently upgraded to ArcServer 10.3 (from 10.2.2), and have since been unable to publish a web service with any new enterprise geodatabases that I've created.  I create the new database using the "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" option under Data Management Tools in ArcCatalog.  I am using a SQL Server login that is has administrator rights on the SQL Server.  After the geodatabase is successfully created I register the database successfully with the server.  I then create a feature class, add it to a map, and attempt to "Share As...Service from the ArcMap menu.  In the analyze phase of the service dialog I continue to get "Feature service requires a registered database" even though I can open up the server data store manager and successfully validate the new database (and all of my other databases). 

I am using the same SQL Server login to create the database and the ArcCatalog database connection that accesses the feature class.  Any ideas on what else I need to take a look at? 

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SteveBurdette
Occasional Contributor

The root cause of this error was using the fully-qualified hostname sometimes versus not using it other times.  I was typing just the hostname (MyServerName) versus the fully qualified hostname (MyServerName.Ua.Edu).  So, when I created the database connection the name was converted to fully qualifiied, which didn't necessarily match the name I used when registering the database. 

So, to fix this issue I'm importing my database connection when registering the database to ensure that the server names are the same in both entries. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
spiskulaspiskula
New Contributor III
0 Kudos
SteveBurdette
Occasional Contributor

The feature class and database I’m using is not versioned, so I don’t believe this is quite the same issue.  Just in case, I tried to create a new data store entry and got a “this database is already registered” error. 

Thanks for the reply…would appreciate any other ideas that you have. 

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
SteveBurdette
Occasional Contributor

The root cause of this error was using the fully-qualified hostname sometimes versus not using it other times.  I was typing just the hostname (MyServerName) versus the fully qualified hostname (MyServerName.Ua.Edu).  So, when I created the database connection the name was converted to fully qualifiied, which didn't necessarily match the name I used when registering the database. 

So, to fix this issue I'm importing my database connection when registering the database to ensure that the server names are the same in both entries. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes this is still an issue. I don't know why we can't register with a TLD then use machine name or vice versa, or interchange it with .local. As long as it resolves... I would think it should work. It does not. Everything has to be the exact same everywhere including the domain for publishing to work, I have found all the way up to 10.7.1. Hopefully this can be added as an Enhancement so layers from mixed domains can work in an MXD and publish.

0 Kudos