CPU on GIS server is spiking at 99%

05-10-2018 08:11 AM
BobbyGiles
New Contributor

I have a virtual server running Windows Server 2012. I have ArcGIS Server version 10.5.1 running on that sever. The CPU spikes to 99% and the GIS Portal is inaccessible and use cannot log into the Collector. What could be causing the serve to spike forcing to turn it off to order to use GIS?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

How many services do you have running off of that server?

What types of services are these comprised of (mapservices, geocode services, geoprocessing services, etc.)?

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Is there a caching task in progress? Or maybe you have a service that is configured to create the cache on demand and there's been a bunch of activity in a new area so it's trying to create the cache? Do you have any geoprocessing tools published that something is calling? Any other scheduled tasks that run on that server? Check and see if maybe Windows is doing an update.

0 Kudos
BobbyGiles
New Contributor

Hello,

There is a CacheTask in the Task Scheduler that is currently running. Two are running. One started on 8:33 this morning and another at 11:37.

I’m not sure about the GeoProcessing tools being published. But there is a task for Trend Micro Worry-Free Business Security Services Recovery Pack Tool. There are no Windows updates running. Yes, there updates available to install but we haven’t kicked them off.

Bobby R. Giles

Corby Energy Services

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

If you look in the Windows Task Manager under the Processes tab and sort by CPU, what is using the highest percentages?

0 Kudos
BobbyGiles
New Contributor

Now, let me state that the server not currently at 99%

Right now, the server is at 12% as of this email.

Bobby R. Giles

Corby Energy Services

0 Kudos
BlakeTerhune
MVP Regular Contributor

Maybe try using something like this to track down the process using the CPU.

CPU/Memory Monitors – Include Top Processes in Alert Description – Jimmy Harper's Operations Manager... 

0 Kudos