Can't get alias table to work with Single House Subaddress locator

10-18-2017 06:32 AM
mthompson
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create an address locator from our address points that users can search by street address (house number, street name, and unit) and also search by point of interest (common name, park name, condo complex name, etc.). I'm testing using a subset of addresses with some fake data thrown in to make it easier to test. I'm using the points as the Primary Table, and a table that is an exact copy of those points as the Alias Table. Locating addresses works fine, but it won't recognize any place names that I type in to the search.

I think the problem has to do with:

I'm using House Number and Street Name fields for the Primary Table (blue box in image) but when the locator asks for the address from my Alias Table, it only gives me the option to enter a "Street or Intersection" (red box in image).

The Esri help article says they must match: "Based on the address locator style you choose, the place-name alias table should contain the same set of address input fields used by the address locator. For example, if an address locator specifies Streets, City, State, and ZIP as the input fields for matching, the place-name alias table should have the same set of fields. These fields contain the actual addresses for the alias names."

They do contain the same set of fields (they are the same table format) but I have no option to match them!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Seems to me you are lacking a very important field: JOINID.

If I may suggest:  take your test points and add a field called JoinID.  Make it a long int, and then calc it to equal the OID.

Once you've done that you can export the table that have common place names.  Recreate your locator but be sure to identify the JoinID field in both the primary and alt-names table.  With out that, there is no way for the locator to associate the two.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
mthompson
New Contributor III

Thank you for your reply. The JoinID field is for using the Alternate Name table, there is no option to choose a join field for the Alias Table. I figured out that a workaround would be to create a composite locator with a separate Place Name only locator.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

My bad:  I have only used Alt Names, not an alias table as ESRI defines them.  Your work around seems like a winner to me, but it would be nice to know how the alias table works.  Maybe we can get Shana from ESRI to chime in...

sbritt-esristaff

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

I couldn't reproduce the behavior you described with Subaddress and Placename alias table in version 10.4.1 and 10.6, which has an updated Subaddress style template. The input fields that the help exert mentioned in your original post is referring to the items in green in the screenshot below and how they should match the fields of the placename alias table. When testing the locator are you typing "Mikeburg" and expecting the match to be a unit at "316 Washington Street"?

The workaround of creating a SingleField or Gazetteer based locator for place locations and adding it to a composite with the Subaddress is the next best option. If you want to provide the data you are actually working with so that I can look at it, feel free to send me an email.