???Version view??? for tables\layers,

Jump to solution
04-08-2014 02:49 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

???Version view??? for tables\layers,

I couldn???t figure out how particular tables\layers are given the ???Version view??? property while others don???t have it

For example, in the screenshot below, the ???project??? table has this property

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32904[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32905[/ATTACH]

In return, the ???companies??? table doesn???t have it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32906[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32907[/ATTACH]

Form where this property (versions view) is set?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
0 Kudos
32 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: asrujit

I tested this on an Oracle 11.1.0.6 sde 10.2 geodatabase, but was able to reproduce the same behaviour as in SQL Server for Tables.

Edit: Ignore the above, I forgot that 11.1.0.6 is not supported with 10.2.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Could you please try it in your database? In case you create a table in the SQL enterprise database, does the version view is created automatically?

Jamal,

I tested this with ArcGIS 10.2 (so not the 10.2.1 you are using) and SQL Server Express 2012, and can't reproduce it. If I create an empty table, and register it as versioned, the Versioned View is automatically created.

I tried this workflow in SQL Server Express 2008 R2 and in Oracle 11g R2 (11.2.0.2) using a 10.2 client:

1. Create table called TEST

2. Register table TEST as versioned, then enable Archiving

3. Check in RDBMS to see if TEST_EVW was created

4. Create feature class called TEST1

5. Register feature class TEST1 as versioned, then enable Archiving

6. Check in RDBMS to see if TEST1_EVW was created

In the case of SQL Server Express, I observed that step 3 did not show that a version view of the TEST table was created (either before or after Archiving was enabled).  However, step 6 did yield a version view of the TEST1 feature class which got created upon registering it as versioned. 

In the case of Oracle, I observed that both step 3 and step 6 yielded version views as expected based upon how Esri's documentation is written. 

Therefore, I can only conclude that in SQL Server the automatic creation does not work for tables upon registration as versioned, but it does work for feature classes.  This could potentially be a bug.

Again, I can't reproduce this with my configuration, what exact version of ArcGIS are you using William?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

I tested this with ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.2.0.3348.  Something is definitely off with the way the version view gets created, and it will take some in-depth testing on Esri's part to identify which configuration's work and which do not for this particular operation.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

I tested this with ArcGIS 10.2 (so not the 10.2.1 you are using) and SQL Server Express 2012, and can't reproduce it. If I create an empty table, and register it as versioned, the Versioned View is automatically created.

Again, I can't reproduce this with my configuration, what exact version of ArcGIS are you using William?

Many thanks Asrujit and Marco for the input.

My software environment is ArcGIS 10.2 (and 10.2.1 on other machine) with SQL Server 2012.

In my case, if I create table (empty table from scratch) and register it as version then there is NO �??version view�?� is created.

What might be the solution here?
How one can have the version view created automatically as a table is created?
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

I tested this with ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.2.0.3348.  Something is definitely off with the way the version view gets created, and it will take some in-depth testing on Esri's part to identify which configuration's work and which do not for this particular operation.

Hi William,

How to get an answer about this particular issue from ESRI?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: crafty762

Here is some information on how to report a bug.  You can also open a support ticket with Esri Tech Support by calling or emailing them directly. 

Also, I need to correct something I mentioned above... I incorrectly stated that I tested this functionality on SQL Server Express 2008 R2 above.  Instead, this should have been SQL Server Express 2012.  My apologies; I must not have had enough coffee this morning.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

I am running exactly the same build of ArcGIS for Desktop. My SQL Server Express 2012 build is 11.0.3128.0, MDAC 6.1.7601.17514 on Windows 7 SP1.

In my case, if I create table (empty table from scratch) and register it as version then there is NO �??version view�?� is created.

What might be the solution here?
How one can have the version view created automatically as a table is created?

Jamal,

Unless you intend to access the Versioned View directly, either through ArcGIS, or more likely (because this is the main purpose of the Versioned Views), through non-ESRI software like AutoCAD or a SQL development environment, there is not much to worry about. The Versioned Views aren't required for correctly functioning ArcGIS software, nor for the versioned editing environment.

Versioned Views are a kind of "extra", non-compulsory, addition to the Geodatabase framework, so I wouldn't worry to much about Versioned Views not being generated in all cases.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: coli4427

Jamal,

I read through the thread, and I notice that you are always logged into your sqlserver express instance as a user that is an admin, and therefore are mapped to the DBO user.

This maybe where the issue is, specifically with the sqlserver DBO user mapping when attempting to create the view during register as versioned.

The oracle case works because it does not have the same promotion semantics, my theory is that a dbms user would also work correctly on sqlserver enterprise, or as an OSA user who has not been granted admin privileges in sqlserver express.

This issue should be logged with support.

The hasVersioned view property is derived internally from the geodatabase metadata for the table (sde_table_registry.imv_view_name).

"System tables of a geodatabase in SQL Server"
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//002q00000080000000

Colin
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I am running exactly the same build of ArcGIS for Desktop. My SQL Server Express 2012 build is 11.0.3128.0, MDAC 6.1.7601.17514 on Windows 7 SP1.

Jamal,

Unless you intend to access the Versioned View directly, either through ArcGIS, or more likely (because this is the main purpose of the Versioned Views), through non-ESRI software like AutoCAD or a SQL development environment, there is not much to worry about. The Versioned Views aren't required for correctly functioning ArcGIS software, nor for the versioned editing environment.

Versioned Views are a kind of "extra", non-compulsory, addition to the Geodatabase framework, so I wouldn't worry to much about Versioned Views not being generated in all cases.

Thanks Macro.

The Version View is core issue at our workflow as it includes all the updates implemented on the business table. Our web mapping application (Geocortex) has the ability to connect between service layer and any SQL\Oracle tables. We are used to connect this service layer with the Version view as it includes all the updates.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32974[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32975[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32976[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32977[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]32978[/ATTACH]

At the moment, I couldn�??t link my layers with the EVW tables (new created tables) due to this issue. This is why I urgently need to have the version view.

what other options do we still have to create the Version view?
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mboeringa2010

Jamal,

I read through the thread, and I notice that you are always logged into your sqlserver express instance as a user that is an admin, and therefore are mapped to the DBO user.

This maybe where the issue is, specifically with the sqlserver DBO user mapping when attempting to create the view during register as versioned.

Colin, you may be right. I now tested this by starting ArcCatalog under a Windows administrator account with sysadmin server role and DBO mapped to this login in the SQL Server database.

I indeed do not see a Versioned View being created on a new table, while it did when I started ArcCatalog normally under restricted account.
0 Kudos