Select to view content in your preferred language

Values removed from domain remain in attribute table for historical records?

Jump to solution
12-11-2023 12:36 PM
Labels (1)
Boomer1187
New Contributor II

Hello!

I have a feature class in an enterprise geodatabase that contains domains with different contractor names. I was wondering, if several of these contractors will retire and I delete them from the domain drop down, will their names show up in the attribute table for historical inspections that they completed? Or does every record/instance that the retired contractor's name shows up dissappear from the feature class/attribute table as well? I want to ensure that all of the retired contractors names will still display when they are removed from the domain.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

Removing values from a domain won't modify your data. However, there are two things to consider.

1. You won't be able re-select them again if you ever needed to use their name (at least not with doing a field calculate within Pro).

2. If your Code is different from the Description in your domain (ex: a code of 5 = John Smith), then it will only display the code once you remove the domain (ex: it will only show the code of 5 as the value instead of the person's name).

Otherwise, it's safe to remove domains. It won't modify the data itself.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

Removing values from a domain won't modify your data. However, there are two things to consider.

1. You won't be able re-select them again if you ever needed to use their name (at least not with doing a field calculate within Pro).

2. If your Code is different from the Description in your domain (ex: a code of 5 = John Smith), then it will only display the code once you remove the domain (ex: it will only show the code of 5 as the value instead of the person's name).

Otherwise, it's safe to remove domains. It won't modify the data itself.

0 Kudos
Bud
by
Honored Contributor

You won't be able re-select them again if you ever needed to use their name (at least not with doing a field calculate within Pro).

If wanted, could the user type in the old value as a field calculation/constant, as a workaround if the value is no longer available from the field calculator via clicking from a list?

0 Kudos
RyanUthoff
Regular Contributor

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said when doing a field calculate.

0 Kudos
Boomer1187
New Contributor II

@RyanUthoff Thanks so much for your response - that is good to know! I will keep #2 in mind to ensure that the data isn't modified 

0 Kudos