Update AUTH_KEY

Jump to solution
02-20-2014 06:50 AM
YangLiu2
New Contributor II
Good morning All,

I got a sql spatial database from our client. I found their version is 10.0 but ours is 10.1. So I created a direct database connection in ArcCatalog and upgraded the geodatabse. Afterward, I went back to SSMS to check the AUTH_KEY in SDE_server_config table. The license is still 10.0 in the cell. I run the "sdesetup -o update_key" command line where the SDE SERVER is sitting. I got an errors saying: Failure to access the DBMS server (-409). Error upgrading authorization key. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
-yl
0 Kudos
14 Replies
YangLiu2
New Contributor II
I hadn't realized this; thanks for letting me know.  My only other suggestions for syntax and parameter sequencing are:

sdesetup -o update_key -d SQLSERVER -u sa -p sa -D TFIPS -s hostname\sql2008r2 -i sde:sqlserver -l "C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen\keycodes" 

sdesetup -o update_key -d SQLSERVER -u sa -p sa -D TFIPS -s hostname -i sde:sqlserver\sql2008r2 -l "C:\Program Files\ESRI\License10.1\sysgen\keycodes" 

This assumes your database name is TFIPS and your instance name is sql2008r2 based on your screenshots.  Otherwise, you may need to open a support ticket with Esri.

Hi William,

Thank you very much! It works this time. The first syntax is correct! 🙂

Best,
-yl
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Great!  Please mark the correct answer with the green check.
0 Kudos
FranciscoAcosta_Bazán
New Contributor III
In my opinion and humble experience the most secure in a DBMS is to perform (previously open the "keycodes" on a notepad and copy the line that includes: arcsdeserver):
UPDATE
SET SDE.SERVER_CONFIG CHAR_PROP_VALUE = 'arcsdeserver,10x,ecp####,.....,....,....,.' WHERE prop_name = 'AUTH_KEY';
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Very simplified answer. Thank you so much. Saved time.

0 Kudos
RedaAli
New Contributor III

worked for me

0 Kudos