unable to start ArcSDE service

03-23-2014 08:44 PM
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
Hi

I have installed Arc SDE 10.1 on windows 2008 server and our Oracle 11g Release 2 is running on Linux.
I have created Arc SDE service succesfully with create service command.
But when i try to start the service from windows control panel, i get following error:

Windows unable to start ArcSDE service, Error 1053, unable to start the service in timely fashion.

please help
0 Kudos
10 Replies
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
Did you add the service entry you defined in the services.sde file to the operating system services file.

Have you checked the sde error log (%SDEHOME%\etc\esri_sde.log).

How about System path variable. Is it set properly.
0 Kudos
EmadAl-Mousa
side note form the main problem: hosting Arcsde on different server than database server profoundly impacts performance (personal experience).
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
side note form the main problem: hosting Arcsde on different server than database server profoundly impacts performance (personal experience).

There are a number of reasons to discourage use of a remote application server, but "profound"
performance impact isn't one of them.  There may be implementations where a remote server
is the best available solution, so care should be taken when making such pronouncements,
especially without knowledge of the networking and client configurations.

As to the main problem, there are many possible causes for service start failure, many of which
become obvious when reviewing the logs.  The installation instructions for remote service configuration
with Oracle detail how the TWO_TASK (on Linux) or LOCAL (on Windows) environment variable
must be set in the dbinit.sde for service connection to complete.  You must also have a 64-bit
Oracle client installed (as of 10.1, all application servers are only 64-bit).  Without the content
of the dbinit.sde file, the location of the client, and the error log contents, we can't be of much
assistance.

- V
0 Kudos
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
Hi Thanks

After your suggestions, i have come out with following.

(1) The service entry is available in windows operating system services file
(2) Environment variable ORACLE_SID is set in dbinit.sde
(3) But esri_sde.log file is not available in SDEHOME\etc\, I dont know the reason..
(4) The Oracle client software installed on Windows 2008 server (where ArcSDE 10.1 is installed) is 32 bit but not 64 bit
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
2 and 4 are your problems.  Oracle requires the use of LOCAL instead of ORACLE_SID on Windows for remote connection (TWO_TASK on Unix) and the 64-bit binary requires a 64-bit client install. I should note that use of Direct Connect is strongly recommended, and application server use is deprecated at 10.2.x. -V
0 Kudos
SyedMasood_Khadri
New Contributor III
Thanks vangelo

I will work to solve the problems.

In fact, we are working with Direct Connection at present, but i need to configure DBTUNE table to change default geometry storage.

I started creating and starting ArcSDE service to edit DBTUNE table.

Is there any other way to configure DBTUNE table other than ArcSDE command line ??
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan

Is there any other way to configure DBTUNE table other than ArcSDE command line ??

No. If you need to add a new keyword with multiple parameters to the DBTUNE table, it is easier to export, edit, then import the contents of the DBTUNE table. ( �??o export and �??o import command). This can be executed only through ArcSDE command line.
0 Kudos
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
You don't need an ArcSDE Service to edit DBTUNE table. You can do that using a Direct Connect as well.

However, as Vince suggested "64-bit binary requires a 64-bit client install". So you need to install Oracle Client 64-Bit and then run the necessary command to alter the default geometry storage.

Example:
C:\Windows\System32>sdedbtune -o alter -k DEFAULTS -P GEOMETRY_STORAGE -v "SDELOB" -u sde -p sde -i sde: oracle11g:gdb102 -N

ArcSDE 10.1
Attribute        Administration Utility
-----------------------------------------------------
        Successfully altered dbtune data.

Note: the gdb102 mentioned in the '-i' parameter is the Oracle_net_service created using Oracle 64-Bit Client.

Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Except, no one should ever, under any circumstances, use "sde" for the "SDE" user password 😉

- V
0 Kudos