Topology Errors

04-17-2014 04:32 AM
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III
I have our parcels in a topology.  When I validate the topology, errors are returned that show the outside boundary of the polygons where the roads would fall.  I mark all the errors as exceptions.  The next time I validate topolgy, the same errors are appearing even though I've marked them as exceptions.  I've gone through the process at least 5 times and they are still coming back as errors.  Why aren't they staying as exceptions?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
Based on my limited experience, with topology, if you recheck the topology after marking something as an exception, it will pop back up again as an error. I think this is because the topology exceptions are not stored in the topology. That would be really cool.

I imagine it would be tough to store the exception and then keep track of which features are related to the them so that the error exception would be removed if any of the related features were modified.
0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III
I have over 3,500 exceptions marked and they do not show back up in the error inspector  unless I check the box show exceptions.  I have about 70 that I've marked as exceptions but are still coming back as errors.  I'm concerned with those 70.
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Maybe you need to check if the topology error tolerance. If you raise that, would the error go away and the accuracy still be acceptable?
0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III
The tolerance is set to the default.  Not sure how these are different than the other 3500.  I'm stumped.
0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

I'm still experiencing this.  I validate the topology every day and am still receiving the same 70+errors that I've previously marked as exceptions.  Has anyone else been experiencing this?

0 Kudos
MarkBoucher

I don't think Arc Map remembers the exceptions.  It has been a while, but my recollection is if you validate again, the previous exceptions are lost and you have to redo the exceptions. A little frustrating.

0 Kudos
CrystalCowardin
New Contributor III

ArcMap does remember the exceptions and stores them.  I'm able to see the 3000+ exceptions I've previously marked in the past 3 years.

MarkBoucher

Nice to know that it does remember. I'll have to confirm that for myself next time I have to use it. I just recall wanting that functionality for the topology tools and not seeming to be able to get it; that is, it seemed like whenever I re-validated that it would re-highlight those that I had marked as exceptions.

0 Kudos
TiffanyPuett
Occasional Contributor II

The exceptions should only be lost if you edit the geometry of the feature that is excepted and then validate. Make sure you have dirty areas turned on and see if anything goes "dirty" during your edits. That could tell you more about what is happening. Esri should have dirty areas on by default.

0 Kudos