Splitting separated line features

02-03-2014 10:28 AM
DavidBell1
New Contributor
Hello,

I am working on editing the street (line) features in a shapefile. I have a street that is in three separate segments but identified with one ID (See screenshot below).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31081[/ATTACH]

Using the "split" editing at the ends of any of these separate segments results in the message:

The feature could not be split.
Split point results in a zero length polyline.
The operation was attempted on an empty geometry.

Any tips on how I may be able to split these?

Thank you,
David
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Use the Explode Tool instead.  They are multi part features.  Explode will separate them out.

In fact you can select ALL on your streets and run the command and it will automatically separate all such features.

Hello,

I am working on editing the street (line) features in a shapefile. I have a street that is in three separate segments but identified with one ID (See screenshot below).

Using the "split" editing at the ends of any of these separate segments results in the message:

Thank you,
David
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Hello,

Thank you,
David

Use the Explode tool on the Advanced Editing Toolbar during an edit session or use the Multipart to Singlepart tool in the Data Management Toolbox | Features Toolset in ModelBuilder or outside of an edit session.
0 Kudos
DavidBell1
New Contributor
Explode tool is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos