Split lines at intersections

Jump to solution
06-15-2016 12:18 PM
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

I can't believe I haven't done this before...how can I split all the lines in a feature class where they intersect with a second line feature.

I have a roads feature and a rail feature. I want the lines in the rail feature to split where ever it crosses a road. I'm looking to do it all at once with an overlay analysis tool. Like the Split Line at Point tool, but using lines as the input. Too many to do it manually.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If I understand correctly, you have two line feature classes

1. Roads

2. Rail

You could follow these steps

1. Use Intersect—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Input: Road and Rail features

Output type: Points

2. Then use Split Line at Point—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

Use the above points to split the road/rail, as desired.

Think Location

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I think you can integrate them .  But before you do, give this a second thought:  I don't know what your plans are with the resulting data, but to me streets and rail lines are two very different features.  In my case, If I had railroads intersecting with roads, I could be routing Emergency Response vehicles down rail lines.  Not so good, right?  Before you do, look a little further down the road (all puns intended) as to what your use is and what your uses might be...

That should just about do it....
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Yep, I understand your second thought. I’m not combing the roads and rail into a network. I’m just looking to find the longest segments of rail corridors without road crossings.

I tried Integrate but nothing happens after running the tool ☹

Dan Seidensticker

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It only works on one feature class:  I misunderstood and thought both rail lines and roads were in the same feature class.  Jayanta Poddar​ caught that and obviously his approach is the way to go!

That should just about do it....
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If I understand correctly, you have two line feature classes

1. Roads

2. Rail

You could follow these steps

1. Use Intersect—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Input: Road and Rail features

Output type: Points

2. Then use Split Line at Point—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

Use the above points to split the road/rail, as desired.

Think Location
DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Yep, that is what I’m trying to do. I tried your suggestion. Step 1 worked fine, but I’m not getting the lines to split when using the points in Step 2. I even tried large search radii up to 1000 feet.

Dan Seidensticker

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you have projected data I presume, since specifying a search radius of 1000 feet does no conversion, so your coordinates would have to be in feet as well.  What happens if you specify nothing? if nothing, are both files in the same coordinate system? and what is/are the coordinate system

DanSeidensticker
Occasional Contributor

Yep, the data is all projected in NAD_1983_HARN_WISCRS_Dane_County_Feet.

I copied everything into a clean feature dataset and then it worked ☺.

Thanks for your help!

Dan Seidensticker