Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Single House Locator Fails or Crashes ArcCatalog

07-19-2011 12:42 PM
AprilNunn
New Contributor
I have been trying for hours to create a Single House locator using our point address feature class in ArcSDE (or in a folder - neither works). I do not get any usable error information, sometimes ArcCatalog crashes and others the 'background process' fails. I have tried right-clicking the connection and selecting New, Address Locator. I have tried using the Create Locator tool in ArcToolbox, a model and ultimately a Python script which also crashes. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

I was able to create a Dual Range locator using our centerline feature class.

Any help appreciated,

April Nunn
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I have been trying for hours to create a Single House locator using our point address feature class in ArcSDE (or in a folder - neither works). I do not get any usable error information, sometimes ArcCatalog crashes and others the 'background process' fails. I have tried right-clicking the connection and selecting New, Address Locator. I have tried using the Create Locator tool in ArcToolbox, a model and ultimately a Python script which also crashes. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

I was able to create a Dual Range locator using our centerline feature class.

Any help appreciated,

April Nunn

Does the feature class you are using in your locator draw up okay by itself?  This is nothing more that a wild a## guess (wag) but could the feature class be corrupted some how?  Could there any empty geometry records?  Perhaps you could run the Check Geometry tool to find out.

Good Luck-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
AprilNunn
New Contributor
The feature class looks good, just built in a clean database this morning. It is the same data I am using in another database with a 9.3.1 locator. But it is big - almost 500,000 points. Could size be a problem?

Thanks,
April
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
The feature class looks good, just built in a clean database this morning. It is the same data I am using in another database with a 9.3.1 locator. But it is big - almost 500,000 points. Could size be a problem?

Thanks,
April

Try pulling out 50K of them and create a locator.  If that works, try 100K, etc etc...

You mention a 9.3.1 locator; is the one that bails out in 10.x?  If so, you may have just discovered the problem....
0 Kudos
AprilNunn
New Contributor
I tried using just one small area (about 9500 points) this morning without success. I've checked the geometry, looked for missing or corrupt data. I also tried to create a Single Field locator on the full address attribute in my feature class - that didn't work either. 

Yes, I'm trying to create a v.10 locator. My 9.3.1 locator on the full feature class works fine. My gut feeling is that it's looking for some attribute named or formatted in a certain way. So I'm going to set up a new feature class just like the web help shows and populate it with my data (unless someone has a better suggestion).

Thanks,
April
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
I tried using just one small area (about 9500 points) this morning without success. I've checked the geometry, looked for missing or corrupt data. I also tried to create a Single Field locator on the full address attribute in my feature class - that didn't work either. 

Yes, I'm trying to create a v.10 locator. My 9.3.1 locator on the full feature class works fine. My gut feeling is that it's looking for some attribute named or formatted in a certain way. So I'm going to set up a new feature class just like the web help shows and populate it with my data (unless someone has a better suggestion).

Thanks,
April

Just for fun use those exact 9500 points that failed in 10.x in a 9.3.1 locator.  Leave everything in the same place, same attributes etc.  If they work in 9.3.1, you may have joined the bug-finders club.  Be sure to log it with tech support if it is.
0 Kudos
AprilNunn
New Contributor
After many, many, many attempts to build a Single House locator (v.10) over the last three days I have trown in the towel. Even if I build a feature class just like the desktop help specifies it will not create. Absolutely ridiculous!

However, I was able to copy the locator from my 9.3.1 database and after rebuilding (repairing to point to my v.10 feature class) it works fine. At least so far...
0 Kudos
MartinLoidl
New Contributor II
Unfortunately there seem to be more bugs like this in the Geocoding-Tools for ArcGIS 10: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/33541-Problems-Rematching-Geocoding-Results?

Up to now neither any SP nor anything else fixed the bugs. And ESRI doesn't seem to care a lot 😞 ... frustrating!
0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor
I would suggest that you contact tech support if you are having issues building locators.  Also, do you have SP2 installed?

Brad
0 Kudos
AprilNunn
New Contributor
Also, do you have SP2 installed?

Brad

No, just SP1. I cannot install SP2 ArcSDE on the server as it is not yet supported by Azteca Cityworks. If I install SP2 on my desktop and try to create the locator in the database which locator styles/rules will be used - from the server or my desktop? And will it matter?

When I try to create the locator now (after re-installing) I get ERROR 000042 : Failed to create the address locator (ArcGIS 10 Help). I know I have permission, enough disk space and valid connection so it must come down to the locator style or the geocoding rule files. Any ideas?

April
0 Kudos