Split / Divide large polygon with point shapefile

Jump to solution
12-02-2013 07:58 AM
GarrettRoss
New Contributor
I have a large polygon shapefile that represents streets and a large point shapefile that represents intersections.
Is there a way to split the polygon shapefile at each intersection point?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29493[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
michaelcollins1
Occasional Contributor III
You need to use the voids between the roads as your polygons. If you don't have that, create it using the "erase" tool under "overlay".
Create a polygon surrounding your roads, erase the road spaces, then explode the resultant polygon to create the voids.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
michaelcollins1
What's your end goal here?
0 Kudos
GarrettRoss
New Contributor
Basically I would like to have individual polygons intersection to intersection.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
Do you then need to name the polygons etc? What do you fully need as a final product?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
The only way I see is, creating a buffer around your points and using that polygon file to cut your street file.
0 Kudos
GarrettRoss
New Contributor
Need a "new" polygon shapefile that has intersection to intersection polygons.
No need to name the polygons, though would be nice..
I will be using these individual polygons to calculate square feet and items contained within
each polygon for assest management.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
I agree with Tim, but it could get messy.
0 Kudos
GarrettRoss
New Contributor
I have tried the buffer option by doesn't  seem to work because of the intersections are not consistant in size or configuration, some our 2 leg, 3 leg, 4 leg, and 5 leg intersections.
0 Kudos
michaelcollins1
That's the messy part. I think you're in for a lot of manual work here either way, unless you have a convenient road segment polyline file with width data included.
0 Kudos
GarrettRoss
New Contributor
Someone in our organization has done this before but now I am tasked with reproducing an update and unable contact the person who originally completed the task. See the attached. somehow it looks as if lines where placed at the points on intersections and then processed.[ATTACH=CONFIG]29499[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos