I have this same problem as you. I can set the projection, but that doesn't help. The lat/lon of my data in the netcdf are in UTM, and I'm guessing this is part of the problem. I could easily find the coordinates for the corners but how would I apply these to do the "georegistering"?
Did anyone ever solve this? If so, please post a solution!
I used this process:
- Make NetCDF Raster Layer tool
- Copy Raster tool to GeoTIFF
- gdal_translate -co PROFILE=BASELINE in.tif out.tif (strips all tags)
- created a TFW file and dropped it in the same folder
- manually defined the coord sys in ArcCatalog
As if this wasn't a bad enough workflow, as mentioned above, the define projection tool seems to have no effect. That means I have to do the last step manually in Catalog, and I'm trying to automate this.
Any ideas? thanks.