Set Symbology by Feature Class in ArcSDE

06-20-2013 08:10 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
Is there a way to set the default symbology for each Feature Class in an ArcSDE (SQL Server) Geodatabase?

I want to do this without create Layers. I know this can be done using Layers. Can it be done with the Feature Class Directly?

I want to be able to load each of my Feature Classes with my own symbology, not the default. For example, I have an Isolation Valve Feature Class. When I add it to ArcMap, I want the valve symbol to appear, not the default which is a point (colored dot).

It would be nice if there was a tab in the Feature Class that allows you to set default symbology.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
The first thing that comes to mind is Representations, as those are indeed stored in the geodatabase. You can even have multiple different "Representations" for a single feature or group of features.

Also see:
A quick tour of representations

In addition, you might wish to have a look at a specialized product of ESRI like ArcGIS Schematics.
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Schematics is essentially storing a layer file per class in an internal blob field.  When a diagram is opened or created, the layer file is re-applied on the fly which picks up both symbology and labeling settings.  This allows us to have a 'default' but also allows a user to save their own layer file and apply it very easily.  For customers that have to give maps(diagrams) to contractors etc... who have different symbology and labeling requirements, this makes it a very simple operation.  So you could do something similar but you will have to work with the API to do it.
0 Kudos