Select to view content in your preferred language

Best practices for distributed databases

06-21-2013 07:12 AM
LaurenYee
Occasional Contributor
Hi, we've recently upgraded our server and I'd like to better manage our SDE database. I'm hoping some of you can help me understand SDE databases and distributed data better and if there are any flaws in my logic here.

1. In location A)  PARENT we make all the edits and administer the database. I would like to keep it this way and restrict other users from accessing this data or making edits.

2. Location B) CHILD are users with read-only access using a file or personal geodatabase.

3. Online web mapping - using Geocortex (Silverlight API), soon we hope to implement online web-editing and moving these edits to location A

From location A to B I would create a one-way parent to child replica and also a 2-way replica from location A to the web mapping.
From my understanding the database would have to be SDE for the 2-way replica to work.

Our SDE is currently at 10 we are running 10.1 desktops.

My questions are:

Is there a more efficient way of doing this ?

When I add a new feature class to the master (parent) SDE how do I transfer this to the others?
In my testing, synchronize changes only works with existing feature classes in each geodatabase..

I would like to create a separate database for the web mapping services as disabling services each time to make a change to the master database is quite annoying - and I want our services to stay online.

I'm not too familiar with SDE and servers...I apologize, I just know it could be more efficient than our previous set up.
0 Kudos
0 Replies