SDE one way replication to a File GDB

09-10-2014 05:41 PM
timdunlevie
Occasional Contributor

Hi guys,

Looking to setup a one-way replication of our Main Database (SDE - Parent) to a file Geodatabase (child)

The Main SDE instance will be where all the edits are done on one server.

The FGDB is simply a replica read/only instance which will sit on our WAN on a different server in another country.

After reading the ArcGIS Help guidelines it seems pretty straight forward, which is why I am asking if there's any other "catch" with regard to setting up this simple replication ? Anyone had experience is this situation?

I understand this statement from the Help is a prerequisite for the replication to take place:

Two-way and one-way parent-to-child replicas have these additional requirements:

• Each dataset must have a GlobalID column. This column is used to maintain row uniqueness across geodatabases.
  • All spatial data must be stored in a high-precision spatial reference.

anything else I need to be aware of ?

thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Tim,

from the help "The data that you wish to replicate must be versioned, but not with the option to move edits to base" is also a requirement.  For 10.2 ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

I have used the one-way replication without an issue to both another SDE database and FGDB, but I do not typically push my changes to the replica. This is not because I have any issue, but since I only update my FGDB about once a month, and also run a series of python scripts to make create more user friendly subsets of our master, I just run a python script to setup the FGDB on the fly with the additional feature datasets I need.  Since I don't need to do this on a daily basis (which you might), this is a better workflow for me.  My master is also fairly compact. 

Creating a one-way replica to a FGDB is not too difficult, although I'm always a bit nervous that I'm going the correct direction. Nice thing about a one-way to a FGDB, is you can test it out fairly easily with harming your master.   Never hurts to make a backup of you master before starting....but that's just my practice.

timdunlevie
Occasional Contributor

Thanks once again Rebecca.

Yeah I will require more “pushing” of data from the Master – child.

Is there a way you can set up syncing changes from the Master to the child on a regular basis? Or is it a manual approach?

Ha…I understand the worry of over-writing the master!

So essentially the structure of the data in the Master SDE parent needs:

Global IDs

Stored in a high-precision spatial reference

And versioning applied

Many thanks,

Tim

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

You can automate the synchronization process using Task Scheduler if required.

Synchronize Changes (Data Management):

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Scheduling a Python script to run at prescribed times:

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/07/30/scheduling-a-scrip/

For a One-Way Parent to Child replica, the replica shoud not over-write\make any changes in the Parent sde geodatabase. As the name indicates, the edits will be sent from the parent to the child gdb, thus the child will be modified.

Still backing up of data is always a good thing before trying anything.