Select to view content in your preferred language

SDE install for Oracle 10.2.0.3 - SDO Geometry

03-13-2012 02:27 PM
SandeepDighe
Deactivated User
We want to install ArcSDE for Oracle Spatial to use SDO Geometry
The versions that we have are : Oracle - 11.2.0.3 running on a Linux 5.0 system (64 bit) + ArcSDE 10 (SP 3 or 4 ?) running on a Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) server.
The documentation stops at Oracle 11.2.0.1, also not much on SDO Geometry.
Is there any thing special that I need to do for this install ? I will appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RayburnClipper
Occasional Contributor
The versions that we have are : Oracle - 11.2.0.3 running on a Linux 5.0 system (64 bit) + ArcSDE 10 (SP 3 or 4 ?) running on a Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) server.
Is there any thing special that I need to do for this install ? I will appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction.

I just set up an environment very similar to what you are doing. With one exception, I have my Oracle DB in a RAC configuration, but the set up is still the same. Have you started the installation of SDE on the windows server?
Government - If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions.
0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi dighesan,

Are you asking whether there is any differences to be aware of when configuring Oracle 11.2.0.3 to use Oracle Spatial with ArcSDE versus earlier versions such as 11.2.0.1?

As far as the ArcSDE component configuration goes there is no change in using 11.2.0.3 as this will be supported as would 11.2.0.1 per Esri's Supported Environment Policy and  the following blurb on the ArcSDE for Oracle System Requirements page:

Oracle 10.2.0.3, 11.1.0.7 and 11.2.0.1 or higher Oracle Patch. This includes Oracle patch set levels and Oracle Interim (One-Off) Patch as per Oracle Corporation's Patch Set Overview and Interim Patch documentation.

See Oracle Support for all Oracle patch set (and Interim Patch) documentation and install instructions. Esri recommends making a full back up of your Oracle database prior to applying any Oracle patch sets or interim patch. If functionality that was working prior to applying the Oracle patch set or interim patch stops working, return to the previous version of Oracle. Contact Oracle support as needed.

Esri Documentation is not going to touch much on the configuration and setup for Oracle Spatial as Oracle's documentation does this much better than we could.  I would recommend looking at the help pages that touch upon this (below); however, Oracle's Installation Guides and Oracle Spatial User Guides are going to be your best bet for the info you are looking for.

What is Oracle Spatial?

How does ArcSDE use Oracle Spatial?

- Jon
0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

Hi dighesan,

Are you asking whether there is any differences to be aware of when configuring Oracle 11.2.0.3 to use Oracle Spatial with ArcSDE versus earlier versions such as 11.2.0.1?

As far as the ArcSDE component configuration goes there is no change in using 11.2.0.3 as this will be supported as would 11.2.0.1 per Esri's Supported Environment Policy and  the following blurb on the ArcSDE for Oracle System Requirements page:

Oracle 10.2.0.3, 11.1.0.7 and 11.2.0.1 or higher Oracle Patch. This includes Oracle patch set levels and Oracle Interim (One-Off) Patch as per Oracle Corporation's Patch Set Overview and Interim Patch documentation.

See Oracle Support for all Oracle patch set (and Interim Patch) documentation and install instructions. Esri recommends making a full back up of your Oracle database prior to applying any Oracle patch sets or interim patch. If functionality that was working prior to applying the Oracle patch set or interim patch stops working, return to the previous version of Oracle. Contact Oracle support as needed.

Esri Documentation is not going to touch much on the configuration and setup for Oracle Spatial as Oracle's documentation does this much better than we could.  I would recommend looking at the help pages that touch upon this (below); however, Oracle's Installation Guides and Oracle Spatial User Guides are going to be your best bet.

What is Oracle Spatial?

How does ArcSDE use Oracle Spatial?

- Jon
0 Kudos
SandeepDighe
Deactivated User
Jon & Ray, thank you for your suggestions - I am looking for any pointers that may be available. I will update after trying the suggested approach.
0 Kudos