Rename feature dataset does not affect feature service?

Jump to solution
09-26-2022 02:33 PM
ChrisJensen
New Contributor III

Renaming a feature dataset seems to not have an affect on a feature service published from a feature class in that dataset.  Why is that?  What is the link between the service and the feature class?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@ChrisJensen wrote:

...  So server does not use the feature dataset construct, it only needs the *table*, owner.tablename? Otherwise a feature dataset is purely a desktop property?

That's a really broad brush, so no, this is not correct.  Server uses feature datasets in conjunction with geodatabase behavior. Serving a simple table does not require geodatabase behavior, so the name change in metadata did not impact the service (though if you tried to republish, you might need to repair the source).

@ChrisJensen also wrote:

I'm curious to know how a feature dataset is modeled in a sde geodatabase.  Is it an attribute in each FC table, is it own table or...? 

There is no longer anything called an 'sde geodatabase'.  The only remainders of what had been called "SDE" are in the suffix of the database connection file and the DLL used to implement the Direct Connect connection.

The implementation was different before 10.0, but in modern times, feature datasets are an XML property in the gdb_items table.  Quoting the Pro documentation (for PostgreSQL):

Feature datasets are objects that allow you to implement specific geodatabase dataset types, such as networks or topologies. A feature dataset is not a separate table in the database; it is a virtual collection of feature classes and controller (or extension) datasets that are grouped by a common ID. The ID is maintained in the gdb_items system table. Each feature class is identified as part of the feature dataset through the gdb_itemrelationships system table.

- V

View solution in original post

5 Replies
VinceAngelo

Hmmm... Not sure if that should have been an issue, but it probably isn't because the *table* is served, and only one table is possible with the same owner (if enterprise) or in the same geodatabase (if FGDB).

- V

0 Kudos
ChrisJensen
New Contributor III

Thank you.  So server does not use the feature dataset construct, it only needs the *table*, owner.tablename? Otherwise a feature dataset is purely a desktop property?

I'm curious to know how a feature dataset is modeled in a sde geodatabase.  Is it an attribute in each FC table, is it own table or...? 

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

A Feature Dataset (FDS) is not a physical table. It is a construct of the geodatabase. That is why it is not possible to see the database. FDS are used for advanced EGDB functionality (topology, utility networks, etc.)

--- George T.
VinceAngelo

@ChrisJensen wrote:

...  So server does not use the feature dataset construct, it only needs the *table*, owner.tablename? Otherwise a feature dataset is purely a desktop property?

That's a really broad brush, so no, this is not correct.  Server uses feature datasets in conjunction with geodatabase behavior. Serving a simple table does not require geodatabase behavior, so the name change in metadata did not impact the service (though if you tried to republish, you might need to repair the source).

@ChrisJensen also wrote:

There is no longer anything called an 'sde geodatabase'.  The only remainders of what had been called "SDE" are in the suffix of the database connection file and the DLL used to implement the Direct Connect connection.

The implementation was different before 10.0, but in modern times, feature datasets are an XML property in the gdb_items table.  Quoting the Pro documentation (for PostgreSQL):

Feature datasets are objects that allow you to implement specific geodatabase dataset types, such as networks or topologies. A feature dataset is not a separate table in the database; it is a virtual collection of feature classes and controller (or extension) datasets that are grouped by a common ID. The ID is maintained in the gdb_items system table. Each feature class is identified as part of the feature dataset through the gdb_itemrelationships system table.

- V

ChrisJensen
New Contributor III

The link to the Pro documentation answers my questions nicely. I really appreciate the help!

I discovered that traditionally versioning a FDS that contains a FC participating in a relationship class with a FC in a different FDS also versions the latter.

I think this would have instead caused an error in ancient times?

I should have clarified by SDE geodatabase I meant enterprise geodatabase.  Mine is owned by the SDE user.

0 Kudos