Removing unnecessary polygon features

11-17-2014 02:29 PM
PaulMoth
New Contributor

Hi Everyone - I'm working with a shapefile and ultimately want to remove all excess features that do not offer any unique coverage. My shapefile has several features stacked on top of each other and want to achieve the most amount of coverage while using the least amount of features possible. I ideally want to identify and erase the oldest, hence leaving single layer coverage of the newest strips. Any ideas how to do this without manually selecting and erasing the oldest features?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the oldest features are at the bottom of the shapefile table...there is no construction date for a feature so you will either have to union them all, of manually edit keeping what you want

0 Kudos
PaulMoth
New Contributor

Thanks Dan! I have an attribute with a date so it's that date that I want to go off of.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

What I would like to know is... how did you end up with a dataset like this?

Another relevant question is; do the polygons that overlay have the same geometry (shape) or can they partially overlay? That would make it a lot more difficult.

0 Kudos
PaulMoth
New Contributor

Hey Xander,

This shapefile gets updated every day with hundreds of new features. Unfortunately, the geometry is not the same so the combination of a single, unique layer always changes.

Paul

0 Kudos