"Add Spatial Database Connection" Problem

Jump to solution
03-08-2011 10:36 AM
Ryan_Galbraith
New Contributor III
I am a newbie to arcSDE and have a quick question. 

I finnaly got access to SQL Server and made my first connection to ArcSDE with the "Add Spatial Database Connection" tool in ArcCatalog v10.  When it came up, all I got was one single blank GDB.  When I create another one, it just comes up with the original GDB.  How can I make another, different GDB within the same server connection.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: forrestpengra

I did the post-install for ArcSDE but thought that I could have access to several GDB.  Do I have to do the post-install to do several more?

Your post install does a number of things, it creates the database, repositories, authorizes and creates your services.  Once your database and repositories are created, assuming you're not going to do any custom tuning of your GDBs then you have to start loading data into your SDE.  As well make sure that you're post install is pointed to the correct instance of your MSSQL DB.  By default I think it only identifies the server, not the instances available.

I have connected to one SQL Server Database and add things to it, but I try and make another and there is an error.  How do I make more than one connection?  Create it with another service?

Did you create the database in the Post Install?  Are there repositories?  Did you create the service during the post installation?  Are you using the proper connection parameters? 

You can create as many 'Spatial Database Connection's as you need supplying different credentials for each and connection types (3-tier vs. direct connect).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: natas333x2

Are you making a workgroup ArcSDE connection (Sql Express)?

Does your Sql Database contain data? (I know it sounds silly but double check)

What license level do you have?  ArcEditor?  ArcView?  ArcInfo?

What operating system are you using?

If you're using SqlExpress for workgroup ArcSDE then try using the Database Servers>Add Database Server option instead of Add Spatial Database Connection.
0 Kudos
Ryan_Galbraith
New Contributor III
Thanks for the quick reply.

Not a workgroup - enterprise level.

Nothing right now, just a blank SDE GDB.

ArcInfo v10 Service Pack 1. 

Windows Server 2008.  ArcGIS Server v10 (sp1) Enterprise.  SQL Server 2008 R2.

These are an academic licence and I have worked with Personal and Workgroup SDE GDB before, but just recently moved to the enterprise model.  I did the post-install for ArcSDE but thought that I could have access to several GDB.  Do I have to do the post-install to do several more?  

Are you making a workgroup ArcSDE connection (Sql Express)?

Does your Sql Database contain data? (I know it sounds silly but double check)

What license level do you have? ArcEditor? ArcView? ArcInfo?

What operating system are you using?

If you're using SqlExpress for workgroup ArcSDE then try using the Database Servers>Add Database Server option instead of Add Spatial Database Connection.
0 Kudos
Ryan_Galbraith
New Contributor III
I have connected to one SQL Server Database and add things to it, but I try and make another and there is an error.  How do I make more than one connection?  Create it with another service?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: forrestpengra

I did the post-install for ArcSDE but thought that I could have access to several GDB.  Do I have to do the post-install to do several more?

Your post install does a number of things, it creates the database, repositories, authorizes and creates your services.  Once your database and repositories are created, assuming you're not going to do any custom tuning of your GDBs then you have to start loading data into your SDE.  As well make sure that you're post install is pointed to the correct instance of your MSSQL DB.  By default I think it only identifies the server, not the instances available.

Did you create the database in the Post Install?  Are there repositories?  Did you create the service during the post installation?  Are you using the proper connection parameters? 

You can create as many 'Spatial Database Connection's as you need supplying different credentials for each and connection types (3-tier vs. direct connect).
0 Kudos
KenGalliher1
Esri Contributor
Are there already databases existing inside Sql Server that you would like to connect to?  If you need to make a new ArcSDE geodatabase then you would run the post-install wizard.  If they already exist then you will need to supply the connection properties in ArcCatalog  (I think you know that already though 🙂 ).

Check out the attachment for connection properties.

Also, see the link below for ArcSDE info.

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/help/arcgis_server_dotnet_help/index.html#/What_is_ArcSD...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rdg129

That worked - thank you.
0 Kudos