Privileges require geodatabase lock?

09-22-2010 11:23 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I'm trying to put privileges on a feature class in a 9.3 SDE sql server database. There are people connected to the data though and there are current edit sessions. Is the database locked so I can't put privileges on the feature classes? I keep getting error messages.

What ever happened to NIM032695 - Ability to grant or add layer privileges in ArcCatalog while a user is viewing the layer ?

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=158&f=2284&t=262890&mc=12#msgid808280

Thanks,
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: zroberthu

Have you tried the Change Privileges GP tool? It is under Toolboxes>System Toolboxes>Data Management Tools> Database.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III
Have you tried the Change Privileges GP tool? It is under Toolboxes>System Toolboxes>Data Management Tools> Database.

Thanks!

I have ArcSDE 9.2 (with SQL 2000) and the GP tool will only work when there are no locks including no share locks.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: zroberthu

I tried the tool under these conditions,

1. With shared lock only;
2. View data session (not editing session);
3. Oracle 10g/ArcSDE 9.3.1/ArcGIS 10;
4. SQL Server 2008/ArcSDE 10/ArcGIS 10.

Grant "Select" always worked. Revoke failed.
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
The behavior that you are describing is as the software was designed. There are a number of workflows where we have to be careful to avoid getting the database into an inconsistent state. Granting privileges in cases where there are schema locks will not cause harm. However there are cases where revoking privileges could cause inconsistency and therefore we prevent revoke when there are schema locks.

In the next release of the software we are working on making it easier to identify these locks and where they are coming from. This should make it much easier to avoid this type of locking issue.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: alnesbit

Hello all,

I have something even better!! Check this out! http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15123

Thanks to Jonathan at ESRI Tech Support for sending this my way.

Cheers,
0 Kudos
MelissaNorthey
Occasional Contributor

Thanks!

Thank you so much for pointing that tool out!  Almost year later and I come across this today and found the Change Privileges GP tool to be my new best friend.  Funny, it worked where another add-on (ArcSDE User Priviliges) and the right-click Privileges failed.
0 Kudos