PostgreSQL

11-18-2011 08:10 AM
LeoDonahue
Occasional Contributor III
I'd like to know if anyone is using ArcSDE 9.3.1 or higher and PostgreSQL 8.4.1 or higher for storing spatial data.  Just looking for some general high level info, or specifics if anyone has anything to share.

Are you using the pre-built binary or zip version?

Does pgAdmin and pgAgent give you everything you need/want for database maintenance tasks?

Do you apply PostgreSQL bug fixes for minor releases beyond the PostgreSQL version ESRI will support?  Any issues with those?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthewCieri
Occasional Contributor
I would love to hear about this also. Great Question!
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Downloaded PostgreSQL 8.4.9-1 and ran the post install for ArcSDE 9.3.

First thing is that the post install will fail with three error messages - all focused on missing .dlls.  Apparently the missing dlls are copied to the correct place when the ArcSDE for PostgreSQL installation process installs PostgreSQL 8.3, "prior" to the ArcSDE post install process.

The issue is referenced here: http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=158&f=1697&t=286240

Kasia's post has the right answer.
0 Kudos
LeoDonahue
Decided to just try the PostgreSQL install from the 9.3.1 ArcSDE media.

Installed on Windows 7.  The only gotcha was that you had to start the Secondary Logon Service in order for the PostgreSQL 8.3 install to complete correctly.

Added SDE 9.3.1 update, SP1 and SP2.

Other than needing to grant usage to sde and data owner schemas via SQL statements - I didn't see a GUI for this, everything is acceptable.
0 Kudos