Population Density correlation between two data sets

Jump to solution
01-22-2017 08:22 AM
SlobodanKomatina1
New Contributor II

I have a Excel spreadsheet with US Census Data and I want to know how to correlate the Night Light intensity data for Clark County, NV against provided US Census Data (2010) and growth? Which tools I need to use in order to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The Ordinary Least Squares (OLS)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop once you get your data in excel formatted properly and brought in using the excel toolset ( Understanding how to use Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) .  The online help would be a good bookmark... Documentation | ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

excel has correlation and regression built-in.  if that is all you want to do with the data, then I suggest you continue with excel

SlobodanKomatina1
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot, I will contnue in excel. Also I want to know is there any way to do that in ArcGIS, which tool I need to use for that? 

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The Ordinary Least Squares (OLS)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop once you get your data in excel formatted properly and brought in using the excel toolset ( Understanding how to use Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ) .  The online help would be a good bookmark... Documentation | ArcGIS Desktop 

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you want to do this analysis, you will need to summarize the night light intensity data by census polygon. That would require doing some analysis in the GIS, for example that provided by the Zonal Statistics As Table tool.

How Zonal Statistics works—Help | ArcGIS Desktop