Paste Error Persists When Trying to Do Special-Paste an Feature Dataset for DB Migration Purpose

08-28-2023 02:05 PM
Labels (2)
KimDotnetPossible
New Contributor

The Paste Error says this "Failed to paste. The operation does not support this dataset type. [LRS data cannot be loaded by SDE or DBO.]."

Dear staff,

I've got the above error when trying to follow the instruction of lesson "Migrate an LRS to an enterprise geodatabase" The lesson first shows how to create an enterprise-geodatabase and then how to make a connection to the created db. I chose platform MSSQL, was able to create one and can make a connection to it via New Database Connection tool

The created MSSQL database is per field entries as follows: (resulted in a sde schema indeed)

CEG_OK_Msk.pngCreateEntrpriseGeodatabase_LocalHostSQLserver_OK.png

MS-Interface_DB-created.png

However, I cannot get pass the subsequent steps, specifically step (4) :

From the Catalog pane, if necessary, expand the Winona_LRS feature dataset.

Hint:

Databases > CityOfWinona_LRS_Model.gdb > Winona_LRS

Right-click the Winona_LRS feature dataset and choose Copy.

Right-click the CityOfWinona_LRS_Production enterprise geodatabase and choose Paste Special. <= this is when the error popup occurs:

--------------------------------------------------------

(1) What am I missing?

--------------------------------------------------------

PS 1: I obviously want to achieve somthing like this 

CityOfWinona_LRS_ProductionSDE_wLRS_WantedThis.png
Unfortunately the lesson example only showcased PostgreSQL based geodatabase creation:

CreateEnterpriseGeodatabase_PostgreSQL_Limited.png
Therefore, I do not have matching instructions or references to look up against.
Right now the error message itself is kind of confusing also. Does it mean the MSSQL db admin cannot be a SDE type, nor DBO type? then why it would ask for credentials of such in the first place (such as the checkbox "SDE owned schema" appears in the Create Enterprise Geodatabase asking for password )

PS 2: I also tried to create a db-admin account where the username is "sde" so that it is identified (the same) with the schema name sde but that same Paste Error fires up again when I tried to paste the source LRS feature dataset into destination newly created "irs_training_4_sde" MSSQL database - as shown below. In this trial, the outcome was even worse, there were not any sde. schema based tables generated when it finished running the Create Enterprise Geodatabase, all I got is this:

MS-Interface_DB-sde-username-trial.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) So the "production" MSSQL database which created through ESRI "Create Enterprise Geodatabase" doesn't accept to-be-migrated LRS feature dataset objects ever, does it? What set up procedure pertains to MSSQL platform I need to follow to void the Paste Error popup?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you in advance for you help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

@KimDotnetPossible 

comminity.esri.com - Database Connections Best Practices

- do not use the sde user to create the data.

- sde user is the arcsde geodatabase repository owner

- sde user shall be used only for geodatabase administrative tasks

- data must be created with a data owner user

- do not use the dbo option when creating the arcsde geodatabase repository in SQL Server

You need to follow the best practices in the community.esri.com database guide books that I wrote to create SQL Server Geodatabases for Linear Referencing.

Linear Referencing - Roads & Highways / Pipeline Referencing
Best Practices LR 3.x Workspace in SQL Server® June/23/2022

For more best practices visit Community.esri.com Mapping and Charting Solutions (MCS) Enterprise Databases Best Practices

• Database Template Scripts

- the database template scripts cover the guide books best practices

- the scripts also have very advanced rdbms and advanced geodatabase best practices that go beyond the guide books recommendations

*For Professional Database Administrators, requires advanced RDBMS and advanced Geodatabase experience.

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
KimDotnetPossible
New Contributor

Please ignore my "PS 2" for now, I'm putting it in in reference to this thread https://community.esri.com/t5/data-management-questions/dbo-or-sde-or-what-schema/td-p/340010
where it mentioned the database-account should echo either the username sde or dbo.

At this point don't know what ArcSDE refers to? I'm not an ArcGis Pro superuser/admin, I am just a regular user that obtained proper license  to do the lesson exercise. However I can create MSSQL account of any kind.

Can someone help to get me pass through step 4 given what I've shown in my original post? Where do I go to read up on ArcSDE or SDE Administrator? The exercise did not warn on such prerequisites. Can you help me to address the Paste Error pop-up for MSSQL platform db creation? The exercise lacks this aspect, and it expects me to be successful in order to move onto the next exercise? Instructional design flaws? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos