Nested Table Joins Work-around

Jump to solution
09-17-2012 02:15 PM
BobPerham
Occasional Contributor
Apparently there is a bug in ArcGIS Server preventing me from publishing a map service with nested table joins.  All the data is in an Enterprise GDB (SQL Server).  I have data in 5 different tables that I join to a parcel feature class to represent an ownership layer.  It's not the ideal way to do things but that's how it's built for now.  Does anyone know of an alternative to nested joins that would allow me to get all this data onto my polygon layer?  The idea is to keep the data "Live" so creating a new table from the data is not an option unless an automated routine could be run to update the table every minute/hour/day.  I was thinking of maybe a "View table" (virtual table), which it looks like ArcGIS can see, but doesn't show that actual values, just field headings (see attachment).  Any other options?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobPerham
Occasional Contributor
After further troubleshooting, it turns out ArcGIS doesn't like spaces in the field Alias name.  When I replace the spaces with underscores, the table data became visible and I was able to join it to my features, symbolize and publish a map service.  It's live too so now a change in the db is reflected instantly in the site.  I'm a happy camper!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
anthonysanchez
New Contributor III
Hi,
You could try a spatial view - do the work on the db side*. You would use the sde command line tools for this and the result would be a view (actually, multiple under the hood) joining your data that is registered with arcsde.

Sdeview -o create ...

The one caveat to this is that spatial views don't look at A and D tables (unless something has changed recently).

Anthony
0 Kudos
BobPerham
Occasional Contributor
I used the "Create Database View" in ArcToolbox and it successfully created the table view, but it still didn't show any records, just column headers.  I can see records in the individual tables but when I create the view of them combined, I don't see anything.  The records can be seen on the SQL Server side though.
0 Kudos
BobPerham
Occasional Contributor
After further troubleshooting, it turns out ArcGIS doesn't like spaces in the field Alias name.  When I replace the spaces with underscores, the table data became visible and I was able to join it to my features, symbolize and publish a map service.  It's live too so now a change in the db is reflected instantly in the site.  I'm a happy camper!
0 Kudos