Best way to maintain integer unique id column?

09-18-2012 10:27 AM
ShawnHolyoak
Occasional Contributor
I need to maintain a unique id column for feature classes in Oracle 11g.  I can't use ObjectId, as my unique id can't change if I load the data into another database (soon to occur), since 3rd party software depends on the unique id being constant.  It must be integer based (i.e., I can't use the UUID functionality available as 3rd party software won't read char column types).  For that same reason, a class extension isn't preferred, as the complexities integrating with the 3rd party software raises concerns.  I tried editing the INSTEAD OF INSERT trigger created by the multiversion view we have on the feature class, to get the nextval of a sequence and insert that instead of :new.ColumnValue, but even though the trigger compiles fine and inserts actually work properly, that sequence value is not inserted into the add table, nor the base table.  So I'm wondering what the remaining options are, if there are any?  Am I missing something terribly obvious?  Why is it so hard to maintain a unique id column in ArcGIS?  Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
0 Replies