Mulitpolygon geometry

08-22-2012 10:03 AM
JamesLugosi
New Contributor
Hey folks, recently we updated to ArcGIS 10.1 and the new version of our Data Interop extension has changed.  Previously, the Data Interop extension was smart enough to identify multipolygons.  Now, it seems that we are unable to change the allowed geometries.  Am I missing something?

We are using the extension to transfer SDE feature class data to our PostgreSQL/PostGIS enabled spatial database.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hello

I just tested some multipart polygons fed into an aggregatefilter and it correctly detected which features were multipart.
Please log a support call and supply the analyst with your data so we can take a look.

Thanks
0 Kudos
JamesLugosi
New Contributor
Hey Bruce, thanks for your response.  However, what was your output?  Did you output to PostgreSQL/PostGIS?
0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi James

I output to shapefile.  If you are having issues specific to PostGres please open a support call, then an analyst will try and reproduce your issue on the same platform.

Regards
0 Kudos
JamesLugosi
New Contributor
Well, it looks like I have to answer my own question.  Sorry ESRI support, but I have yet to have one of my incidents solved properly.  Here is what I found.  While inspecting the output via the Data Interop Tool it appears the data in postgresql/postgis has been labeled as postgis_multisurface (via the Data Interop Tool).  It looks like the Data Interop is assigning a geometry type that is not supported by postgis 1.5.

** This is the documentation from PostGIS.
"The well-known text extensions are not yet fully supported.  Examples of some simple curved geometries are shown below:"

CIRCULARSTRING
COMPOUNDCURVE
CURVEPOLYGON
MULTICURVE
MULTISURFACE

So, I have 2 possible solutions.  First, we could go back to using ArcGIS 9.3.1 because the Data Interop tool worked just fine in the older version.  Second, we have built file geodatabase support into GDAL/OGR and we can just use the ogr2ogr command.

Thanks for your help Bruce.  I will contact ESRI support regarding this issue.
0 Kudos
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III
James,
From the error message it seems that the tool is outputing to a surface, which is 3d polygon data.
I think that there might be some mix up with versions of PostGis,
What version of PostGIS do you have on your Postgres instance.

Sincerely,
Kasia
0 Kudos