MS Access database joined to a Feature Class

05-12-2017 11:13 AM
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

I have a Feature Class - Traffic Signals - that has a unique identifier - Location.  The Location field contains a number that cross references to an MS Access database - TrafficSignals.mdb - table that has a Location field.  The MS Access database has multiple other tables that can relate through the Location table. 

We are looking for suggestions of how to manage this data, through Best Practices. 

Our goal is to move out of the MS Access database and import the data into our GIS and CMMS, based on the data in each table. 

But I'm wondering if there is a temporary solution.  I did attempt to add the database into an ArcMap through an ODBC but received the error that there was a password / security issue.  Which there is no password to the database. 

Thanks for your input in advance. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Have you verified if TrafficSignals.mdb is a personal geodatabase. A PGDB also has *.mdb format, and you could view its content from ArcGIS Desktop (Catalog/Map).

Think Location
JohnMellor__GISP
New Contributor III

TrafficSignal.mdb is not a personal geodatabase.   It is just an MS Access database.  I can't open it in ArcMap or ArcCatalog.  I receive an error that I need a password, but there is no password.  It's behaves like there was a linked access list at one time. 

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

What is the version of ArcGIS desktop and MS Office?

As you have mentioned that your data TrafficSignal is an Access database, can you try to export it as an excel as a temporary solution. That way you can at least join the data and then try to troubleshoot the issue.

However, you need to ensure that you have installled Download 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components from Official Microsoft Download Ce...  

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos