Layer's Data Source is inaccessible

Jump to solution
09-26-2016 08:26 AM
ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II
Dear ESRI Community,

I am using the ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 on Windows 8.1.
My issue is: I've changed machines when installing ArcGIS Desktop 10.1. When trying to load a data layer which was on the previous machine, I am getting an Error Code of 00003: Layer's Data source is inaccessible.

I've tried to Set Data Source from ArcCatalogue by right-clicking and changing the Data Source, yet it refuses to display in ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.

I am having a frustrating time working on a project until and unless the data layer properly loads and displays.

Please help resolve the issue at hand. Let me know if you need any more information.
Appreciate all help.
Thanks you
0 Kudos
20 Replies
ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

Thank you for the excellent suggestions. Your suggestions helped me to work backwards and see one by one why the data source was containing no data. I had an old backup and loaded the old backup of the data source into the map and presto, the map displayed displayed beautifully. Finally the data source became available once again. From what I learnt from the experience was that the links to the data file had been broken when I first installed it onto a new computer, hence I could not find the columns that were there before. Also I copied the data source onto the new computer on a different drive and then tried to access the data source from there changing the path to the Data Source and it worked like a charm!

Thank you so much for the suggestions that took me into the right direction and helped resolve the issue.

I appreciate each and everyone in this community.