Layer's Data Source is inaccessible

2434
20
Jump to solution
09-26-2016 08:26 AM
Highlighted
New Contributor II
Dear ESRI Community,

I am using the ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 on Windows 8.1.
My issue is: I've changed machines when installing ArcGIS Desktop 10.1. When trying to load a data layer which was on the previous machine, I am getting an Error Code of 00003: Layer's Data source is inaccessible.

I've tried to Set Data Source from ArcCatalogue by right-clicking and changing the Data Source, yet it refuses to display in ArcGIS Desktop 10.1.

I am having a frustrating time working on a project until and unless the data layer properly loads and displays.

Please help resolve the issue at hand. Let me know if you need any more information.
Appreciate all help.
Thanks you
Reply
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

i have never seen several columns vanish from a shapefile.  I suspect their presence there was the result of a join.  Unless a shapefile is exported/saved to a new file when it has a join, the join remains temporary and it will be lost even when the shapefile is added to a new project.  The easiest solution would be to go back to some point in time and find a backup or other copy of the main shapefile and the table used in the join and replicate it.  There is essentially nothing that can be done until you locate those files or ... hopefully... your backup copies.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

are you sure that that file was also moved?  Examine the path it is being direct to and use windows operating system to check the folder for its location.  It is was on a network drive check to see if you have access to it as well

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I am sure not only the file, but the whole folder in which the file was kept was moved from C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<foldername> to another computer to C:\Users\<differentusername>\Documents\<samefoldername>. That being said, I did try to change the path of the file with ArcCatalogue by right-clicking the file and Set Data Source(s) to the new path where the file is now kept in the new computer. Even then, the data layer is not visible/inaccessible within ArcMap.

Now what do you think I should do?

Appreciate all help.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Frequent Contributor

Also, in troubleshooting this, see if you can see any GIS files at all.  This will limit the issue to just one file, or whether the software itself had an installation or network access issue.

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi Chris,

I can see all the different .mxd's in the folder, this means the software installed properly. The issue remains with the file being inaccessible in ArcMAP. Another piece of information I can give is --->> I can't see only 3 columns in the attribute table whereas previously (back in the old machine) it contained a lot of columns.

Any ideas?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Are you seeing the red exclamation mark next to the layers in Table of Content. If yes, then repair the data source.

If the Repair/Set data source doesn't work, then check the following. 

Open a blank MXD. And add the data from the new folder location. If the data is opening properly, then do the following.

Open the older MXD, Right-click each layer > Save as layer. Save it in a folder.

Open the new MXDs where data is displayed properly. You can import the symbology from the saved layer files.

NOTE: I would recommend saving the data in a more consistent folder (e.g. D:\Data or C:\Project\Data)

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi Jayanta,

Previously, I did see the red exclamation marks next to the layers in the Table of Contents. But after having repaired the data source, the exclamation marks no longer appear. Even after doing this, the data source's layer is not visible in ArcMAP.

Any more suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Could you try right-clicking the layer > Zoom to layer?

Also could you send a screenshot of the layer extent and the spatial reference (Layer properties > Source tab).

Also check the attribute table for the availability of data.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi,

I tried to work on the suggestions you gave, like Zoom in to the layer, but found nothing to display. I looked into the attribute table and cannot find the columns it used to show when it was installed in the previous computer.

I know it got to be something relating to the path of the files which is disturbing the layer from being displayed but I don't know where to begin in the right direction in order to solve this problem.

However, I have attached some screenshots of the attribute table, as well as the errors that display with the 'Analyze Map' from the File menu.

Spatial Properties of the layerScreenshot of Attribute tableScreenshot of the error messages with Analyze Map in File Menu

I hope this helps to look at the problem.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thank you for the screenshots... The "UP_Blocks" layer doesn't seem to have any data (or remove the definition query, if any).

For other layers (in 3rd screenshot), validate the definition queries. They seem to be causing issues.

And I am suggesting you once again to move the data source to any other drive (Do not keep it inside C:\Users).