Hung States After Compression

08-12-2011 05:02 AM
ShaunConway
Occasional Contributor II
Hello Everyone,

Desktop: 9.3.1 sp1, 9.3.1 sp2 & 9.3.1  (we can't force some of our folks to upgrade to sp2)
Database: SQL sde 9.3
Enterprise License

We run a bi-weekly maintenance routine where our distributed editors all reconcile and post, their versions are deleted, and the database is compressed. The last time we ran this process, we noticed a series of hung states in the database. We were unable to achieve a full compression to state 0. What stood out as odd, after having talked to our editors, is that the hung state times all coincide with a reconcile/post event.

Attached are screesnhots of the versioning lineage and the sde_states table post compression. The red highlighted state is my reconcile/post even just prior to compression.

Can anyone help with why these states are hanging, how can we fix them, and how do we prevent them from occurring?

Thanks in advance,
Shaun
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BenLin
by
New Contributor III
Hi Shaun,

I believe the problem was due to the fact that there were unreleased state locks during your compress process.

You can check these two tables before running the comrpess again, and make sure there are no activity connections which would hold the states.

sde.sde_process_information
sde.sde_state_locks

Once you confirm that there are no any locks and connections, you can run a compress using SDE command like this:
sdeversion -o compress -i sde:sqlserver:instance -D database -u sde -p password

Thanks,
Ben
0 Kudos