how to Migrate data(with schema) from MSSQL to PostgreSQL?

Jump to solution
02-28-2019 09:54 PM
Tshering_Lham
New Contributor II

i have a ARCSDE enterprise geodatabase in MSSSQL Server 2008. I want to replace MSSQL Server with PostgreSQL.

i have setup the enterprise geodatabase in PostgreSQL and now want ti import the data along with the schema to PostgreSQL.

i tried with export/import XML Workspace however my data is quite big(around 7GB) and its taking a very long time plus its giving some error while importing the XML Workspace.

can anyone help me how to  import data (with schema) from MSSQL to PostgreSQL ?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Tshering_Lham
New Contributor II

Hi George,

i am trying/testing the EGDB upgrade from 9.3 to 10.2.2 and i was able to upgrade successfully. i am yet to do the copy/paste method to move from mssql to postgres.

Just one doubt i want to ask is that i did not install ArcGIS for Server in my local system (i have arcgis desktop advanced installed and msssql server). i did a backup/restore method to move a copy of the database from production server to my local system and used the upgrade geodatabase tool to do the upgarde. so i am bit confused since i did not have the Arcgis for server/Arcsde installed in my local system, how the EGDB upgrade work or is what i did the correct way?

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

It is not required to have ArcGIS for Server or ArcSDE installed on the local system, to perform the Geodatabase upgrade. Just the ArcGIS Desktop is enough for that.

Tshering_Lham
New Contributor II

Hi George,

As recommended by you, i have upgraded my EGDB 9.3 in MSSQL Server 2008 to 10.4.1 in MSSQL Server 2012.

i did  drag/drop method to transfer my data+schema from MSSQL(2012) to postgres(9.4.5) and seems to be working fine.

Thank you very much for your help.