How do you convert polyline to polygon in ArcMap 10.4

Jump to solution
03-31-2016 09:23 AM
OzKhan
by
New Contributor III

There use to a tool "feature to polygon" in earlier builds. I dont see them in 10.4. Can someone walk me through what I need to do?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
23 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

trial version.... grief... trial version  surely there is a machine there or is school looking better all the time

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Short of going to the build that had it... no

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sounds like a classic case of trying a "trial" version or quickly registering back in school where advanced everything is free until you graduate

OzKhan
by
New Contributor III

I am done with school. You are right. I had full advanced version in school. Our company just started using GIS and didnt want to spend way too much and got the basic license on my machine. In a year or two they will for sure have to upgrade to full advanced license.

0 Kudos
RonFisher
New Contributor II

Try the free version of ET Geo Wizards and use the Polyline to Polygon function in that.

Keep in mind the free version will only allow you to convert a certain amount.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

XToolsPro is another possibility with their "Make Polygons from Polylines" process.  They have a free trail version if you want to check it out.

Feature Conversions | XTools Pro

This is a screenshot from an earlier version (the 10.4 one may differ):

Convert Pollines to Polygons XtoolsPro.jpg

Chris Donohue, GISP

OzKhan
by
New Contributor III

Isn't there anyhthing that is not trial and free? I will have to use that feature to convert from polyline to polygon for the next year or two.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oz,

Unfortunately, these types of advanced functionality come at a cost. It sounds like the least cost option is to go with an unfamiliar open-source-type of software and learn the process from there. Since you will be doing this over and over, you will need a more permanent solution that will be easy for you to replicate. It might be worth looking into the tools mentioned by Ron Fisher​ or Chris Donohue, GISP​ since they surely can't cost more than an Advanced License.

OzKhan
by
New Contributor III

I might have to give QGIS (freeware) a try.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Of course, the inquisitive would soon discover that the difference between a polygon and a polyline is a simple word in the help files...

features.append( arcpy.(Polyline or Polygon)( arcpy.Array([arcpy.Point(*coords) for coords in feature]))) 

Polygon—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Polyline—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

but that would be overkill for general use