how can I type latitude/longitude into a table and have it show up on the map as a point?

Jump to solution
02-14-2020 10:26 AM
StephenRoof
New Contributor

I have a table with multiple location that were initially put in as points and then fields were filled in. I have some locations that I have latitude and longitude addresses for and wanted to type those locations into the table and expected the point to show up on the map but it doesn't, although the shape column does show "point".#table issues

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Theres a tool called Add X Y Coordinates, running this on your current feature will give you their true locations in new fields to your table. Then run Table to Excel to export the current table to a spreadsheet, at least then you dont have to recreate all the coordinates and can add in new rows easily. When done, add the sheet back in thru Add X Y data.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Hi Stephen,

There is often alot of confusion with tables which hold lat long figures. A table can exist but hold no geospatial location.

Changing these values in the table will not create  or update the location of points.

You need to add the table as xy data, then save it as a feature class or shapefile.

Search for adding xy data in the help files or Google and you will find a trove of info.

0 Kudos
StephenRoof
New Contributor

I was afraid that might be the case. Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Theres a tool called Add X Y Coordinates, running this on your current feature will give you their true locations in new fields to your table. Then run Table to Excel to export the current table to a spreadsheet, at least then you dont have to recreate all the coordinates and can add in new rows easily. When done, add the sheet back in thru Add X Y data.

StephenRoof
New Contributor

Thanks David, that’ll work.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If one of David's responses answered your question, please mark it correct to close out the question.

0 Kudos