How can I find a shapefile of all restaurants and bakeries in California? Or a free list of addresses to Geocode?

04-16-2015 09:08 AM
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi I am currently trying to search for restaurant (of all types) and bakeries in California. I am thinking finding a shapefile of this is pretty unlikely but was wondering where I might find a free comprehensive list of addresses that I could then geocode within arcmap? Can google maps or google earth provide this for me?

Thanks,

Melissa

Tags (1)
37 Replies
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

I also did not create a local copy on ArcGIS desktop and sync it with my ArcGIS online.

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

Okay... Once you edit the results in CA, it asks you to re-save the layer with a name. Use a different name there (something not used earlier) as the previous layer exists in CA My Contents > My layers > Business Points (NOT in AGOL) and would not let you save with the same name. Unless you have the layer you wouldn't be able to edit the results. I hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Hi Rakesh, If I am understanding you correctly I believe I tried this. I renamed my layer in the Community Analyst tool to for example VENTURA instead of Restaurants_Ventura. I then shared the layer with my ArcGIS online account. Went to VENTURA to publish the feature layer to a feature service and it gave me the same error message

0 Kudos
RakeshSinha
Occasional Contributor

I just tried the same at my end and it worked just fine for me.

0 Kudos
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Interesting I have kept trying and it won't let me. When it says item with the same "key" what is this referring to?

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
MelissaTraverso1
New Contributor II

Is anyone familiar with R? R apparently has several "packages" that include functions purpose-built for extracting data from Google Maps. The big one is called "ggmap" and "ggplot2". Wondering if I might be able to extract lat long points from this directly in order to create a shapefile.

Thanks,

Melissa

0 Kudos
nimitz
by
Occasional Contributor

An even better dataset (shapefile, GEODB, or whatever format) is a list of all the donut shops in the greater Sacramento region!

0 Kudos
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

I read through the forum postings and didn't see a mention of infoUSA (paid service):

Restaurant Database | Restaurant Mailing Lists | InfoUSA

They should already have the addresses geocoded; there may be license/usability constraints on the data, however. You'd have to inquire for more information.

I know you asked for a free resource, but just wanted to make you aware in case you were unsuccessful in this venture.

0 Kudos