hi,i am very new to database connections.i am creating direct database connection with oracle 11gr2 with arcmap 10.3.but it fails to connect database and show below error.

Jump to solution
02-20-2016 12:02 PM
VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesGough1
Esri Contributor

ArcMap is a 32-bit application and you need to install the 32-bit version of Oracle client drivers like Oracle Instant client.

Then you need to add both the 64-bit and 32-bit oracle clients in your system path.  64-bit path first and followed by the 32-bit Oracle bin in the path.

You need to re-start ArcMap before attempting to connect so it can pick up the updated path variable.

I can work with you on this in a meeting.

You can contact me at jgough@esri.com.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Jim Gough.

Thank You,
Jim Gough | Technical Lead Enterprise - Educational Services
Esri

View solution in original post

19 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Vaidhy, what was underneath the top dialog?

0 Kudos
wonjack
New Contributor

it is username and password for connecting database.

for avoiding any access and grant ,I am using SYS user.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You should not EVER use the SYS user to connect from ArcGIS clients.  It is a very dangerous practice, and Oracle tries to prevent it by making SYS-privilege users add the WITH SYSDBA modifier in the connection (which ArcGIS doesn't provide).

If you follow best practice by creating one or more tablespaces to contain your data, and one or more users to own the data (with appropriate default tablespaces), and one or more roles to manage access to your tables, and additional users to access the data (through the roles), then you won't get tangled in knots trying to use administrative accounts for non-administrative purposes.

- V

VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

can we use system user credentials.

because it logged as normal user..

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Connecting as any administrative user (SYS/SYSDBA/root/sa/postgres/...) for other than adminstrative use is an antipattern.  Doing so puts your entire database instance at risk from one wrong click.  "Worst practice" doesn't capture the risk adequately. Please do not do this! 

Instead, use that administrative user to create the needed tablespaces, users, and roles, then put the password on an index card in a  locked filing cabinet and forget it.

- V

0 Kudos
VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

it is username and password for connecting database.

for avoiding any access and grant ,I am using SYS user.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

oh makes sense.  Now the links that are similar to yours to the right of your post, which wouldn't have appeared when you posted, have a few suggestions.  One link suggests that there is a patch that is needed 

Issue in Oracle ArcGIS connection have a look and if that doesn't work, try the other links, or search this site using ... Oracle connection  ... as a keyword search

AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
  1. Are you able to connect using SQLPLUS?
  2. Do you have the Oracle Full or Instant Client installed?
  3. What is the bit-level of the Oracle Client installed?
  4. What is the Oracle_SID (Database name), which you are trying to connect?
  5. Do you have Oracle and ArcGIS installed on the same machine? If No, what is the database server name?
VaidhyPanday
New Contributor II

hi asrujit,

1)i am able to login using SQLPLUS .

2) i have installed oracle 11gr2 after that i  installed Instant 32 bit client ..dont know exactly what Oracle Full stands for ?

3)i have installed 64 bit oracle client.

4)oracle SID MyLappy

5)i have installed oracle and ArcGis on same machine.

0 Kudos