Glitches with saving, undoing, redoing and stopping edits

04-04-2014 10:30 AM
KelseyKaszas1
New Contributor
When I enter an edit session and make some edits and then stop editing, the splash screen that says "save edits" does not pop up, instead it just automatically saves everything that I did during my edit session and exits the edit session. This is causing a ton of problems for me because sometimes I will make an edit that I do not want to keep, the undo button will not work and stopping the edit session with cause the unwanted edit to be saved. For some reason, the undo button will only undo things not related to an edit session such as changes to the TOC.

In essence, every time I enter an edit session I cannot make any mistakes because everything I do will be saved and potentially cause me to overwrite good data. This is stressful and needs to be fixed asap.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
It sounds like ArcMap has been configured to perform nonversioned edits on the geodatabase.
You can read more about nonversioned edits in the help topic Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits.
Note that in 10.2.1 you no longer get the chance to discard all edits on stop editing while editing nonversioned data.

If you change ArcMap back to the default configuration to edit versioned data, your feature classes in the geodatabase must be 'registered as versioned'.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
It sounds like ArcMap has been configured to perform nonversioned edits on the geodatabase.
You can read more about nonversioned edits in the help topic Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits.
Note that in 10.2.1 you no longer get the chance to discard all edits on stop editing while editing nonversioned data.

If you change ArcMap back to the default configuration to edit versioned data, your feature classes in the geodatabase must be 'registered as versioned'.

Who came up with that downgrade?  How could you think your customers wanted this non-option?  I have never experienced anything negative with canceling a non-versioned edit the way this user has done.  There is no justification for putting the stress of demanding perfection on your users when ESRI clearly has not needed to do that in all previous versions.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Sorry i should have been a bit more clear about the change.
The other option added to the version property page while performing nonversioned edits is to 'Automatically save changes after each edit'. When unchecked, edits are not immediately committed and you will get the opportunity to stop the edit session without saving.
0 Kudos
KelseyKaszas1
New Contributor
Ok, I unchecked the "save edits automatically" option and turned off "edit a version of the database with the ability to undo and redo". This is now giving me the option to not accept or accept my edit session which is what I want; however, the undo and redo button still do not work. If I undo or create a polygon that I do not like, I cannot undo the changes. The only time the undo button works is when I am creating a polygon and I want to undo the last vertex. This is a big problem that continues to put stress on having a perfect edit session. The feature layer that I am trying to edit exists in an SDE that contains one versioned feature class, the feature class that I am attempting to edit is non-versioned. What do I need to do to regain the ability to undo and redo edits without having to version a feature class?
0 Kudos
KelseyKaszas1
New Contributor
Upon reading about redo / undo edits in this forum post , it appears that the ability to undo and redo within a non-versioned feature layer in an SDE does not exist. I am curious why this is? Did this capability ever exist? The alternative would be versioning every single feature layer in an SDE regardless of if you actually need to use the versioning capabilities. Please advise, thank you!
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Ok, I unchecked the "save edits automatically" option and turned off "edit a version of the database with the ability to undo and redo". This is now giving me the option to not accept or accept my edit session which is what I want; however, the undo and redo button still do not work. If I undo or create a polygon that I do not like, I cannot undo the changes. The only time the undo button works is when I am creating a polygon and I want to undo the last vertex. This is a big problem that continues to put stress on having a perfect edit session. The feature layer that I am trying to edit exists in an SDE that contains one versioned feature class, the feature class that I am attempting to edit is non-versioned. What do I need to do to regain the ability to undo and redo edits without having to version a feature class?

As far as my experience goes back to 9.3, non-versioned SDE editing has not allowed undo/redo for non-versioned feature classes.  The only option is to version the data to enable the undo/redo capability.  If the table does not have a unique index that should not be a problem, but if it does have a unique index it probably won't let you version the data. 

What you want has not been a supported feature ever as far as I know.  That is the very reason that the "edit a version of the database with the ability to undo and redo" has that wording, undo and redo only work with versioned SDE data and all ESRI documentation confirms that this is the intended behavior.  This explains why unversioned data cannot undo the edits, because edits are direct to the database and there are no edit tables.  That has never changed as far as I know.

However, the ability to quit an edit session and not save any of the edits should now work, since you unchecked the automatic save behavior.  I have never checked the automatic save edits option and have always been able to bail out of an edit session on non-versioned data to prevent the edits from being committed to the database.

If you need real undo/redo then by definition you actually need the capabilities provided by versioning, if only for that reason alone.
0 Kudos
KelseyKaszas1
New Contributor
Thank you, that is a good explanation!
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
If you need real undo/redo then by definition you actually need the capabilities provided by versioning, if only for that reason alone.

Well said...

I think it is also good to say that these "issues" related to versioned or non-versioned editing, actually touch at the very heart of how Relational Database Mangament Systems (RDBMSs) function. The limitations or possibilities are not so much of ESRI making, but for a large part inherent to the underlying RDBMS, and ESRI just abides by the "rules" imposed by these.
0 Kudos