Get all single line addresses in address locator

11-06-2014 02:46 AM
HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

I have an address locator (US Dual Ranges Styles), and it reads [road_name], [from_left], [to_left], [from_right], and [to_right] fields from the roads layer.

In the dataset, there is street with the following attributes:

Street Name

From Left

To Left

From Right

To Right

Peace St

I want to list all Single line addresses for this street and other streets in the address locator like this:

1 Peace St

2 Peace St

3 Peace St

4 Peace St

5 Peace St

6 Peace St

7 Peace St

8 Peace St

10 Peace St

Is there a ready table that contains the complete set of all single line addresses in the dataset? Or should I generate it by a third-party tool (e.g. Excel Macro)?

Thank you

Hani,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I'm not aware of any tool that does that for you, so you'd probably need to create your own.

However, I need to ask;  what is the purpose of such an output?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
HaniDraidi1
New Contributor II

Many thanks Joe for your interest,

I need this tool to establish a table that contains all the addresses, which can be used as a reference for an auto-complete text-box that the user uses to write the address he wants to find in my web mapping application.

I solved it by exporting the tabular data to excel and running a macro that lists all the addresses, and then importing the detailed addresses as a stand alone table. But this solution is not flexible to update, since each time the data changes (new address is created), I have to repeat the same process (exporting to excel>>running the macro>>returning the addresses back to ArcMap). I think that the complete set of addresses should be stored somewhere within the address locator, or there should be a generic tool that does this, what do you think?

Thank you again

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

But this solution is not flexible to update, since each time the data changes (new address is created)...

I don't see how you can add an address if the range of the street has already been established. For example, the 100 Block of Main St has a range of 100-198 and 101-199.  You have all the possible addresses from your macro.  What can be added?

I think that the complete set of addresses should be stored somewhere within the address locator, or there should be a generic tool that does this, what do you think?

Using street data to match against is what it is.  You are matching against a range of numbers so the location is interpolated.  Using the Main St example above, the address of 150 Main St will locate on the even side of Main St, right in the middle of the block.  The reality might be that:

A.  There is no physical address 150 Main St

B.  150 Main St is NOT actually on the even side and/or in the middle of the block

I have used streets to address match for the past 10 years for 9-1-1 response.  As I type this, I have an address point feature class that is based on actual, physical addresses from parcel data that I'm working on to use in addition to the streets.  The street data has served us well, and I'll continue to use it for intersections; nobody lives in an intersection , but in the 9-1-1 world an awful lot of activity occurs in them.

Best of luck to you!

HaniDraidi1
New Contributor II

Joe, Thank you very much for your prompt response and sorry for the late reply.

You are right, using ranges is aimed to include all the addresses that a street might include, but the update in my case is: Adding streets and addresses for other cities that are not included in my address locator (So each time I add cities' streets, I have to derive the single line addresses again).

0 Kudos
HaniDraidi1
New Contributor II

I agree with you that the address locator interpolates the address from the ranges assigned to the street, but I wonder if it interpolates the address each time it is called (when the user enter a single line address), or does it call it from a ready list of addresses that is constructed when building the locator?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

It's my understanding that it interpolates each time.

HaniDraidi
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you very much Joe, Your input is appreciated.

0 Kudos