Georeferencing Google Earth Screenshots

03-26-2015 06:42 AM
HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi all, I have recently georeferenced some screenshots from google earth by using Inputs X and Y and keyed in the lat long. However, I realised that the values I have keyed in have units as meters and not degrees. As such, I am having trouble now while trying to digitise some parcels because the combined raster image is too small for digitisation to be done.

How can I convert the units for the X and Y that I have keyed in from meters into degrees? Sadly, I accidentally deleted the individual georeferenced images after I have merged them into one using mosaic.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

If you know the UTM Zone you are working in, here is a UTM to Decimal Degrees Converter.

Geographic/UTM Coordinate Converter

Steven

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Hazel,

From ArcCatalog, right-click the image that you had georeferenced > Properties. Scroll down to spatial reference > Click Edit.

In Spatial Reference properties dialog box, go to Geographic Coordinate System > World > WGS 1984. Select it. Click OK > Click OK.

Open the image in a new ArcMap session. Hope it resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Jay

Think Location
0 Kudos
HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi Jay

I have just tried your method but my raster layer has already been set at PCS WGS1984. Hence the issue is still persisting.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It should be GCS WGS 1984, not PCS. And you don't have to georeference it again

Think Location
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Here is the snapshot for you

Think Location
0 Kudos
HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi Jay, thanks a lot for your advice. I will try it again tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.

0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor

Hazel,

There is no way that you can, there is no relation to entering 64 meters instead of 64 degrees for example. You will need to drop all projection information from your mosaic and re-georeference it.

Regards

Anthony

0 Kudos
HazelAng1
New Contributor

Hi Anthony

Seems like I may have to regeoreference them. However, am I able to do so from the raster layer which is merged? Because the merged raster layer does not have any georeferenced information. Only the original raster images have them.

0 Kudos
AlicePence
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried using Field Calculator? There's an option to convert from meters to degrees ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos