Geodatabase Toolset (GDBT) for ArcGIS v.10

07-19-2010 11:24 AM
RachelBrowne
New Contributor
I heard a rumour at the ESRI International conference last week that there is no Geodatabase Toolset for V.10.

Could ESRI please confirm this and if this is indeed the case, how can we get this reinstated for the new version?

This is a toolset that we depend upon in our everyday management of SDE and if it is not available will significantly impact upon our plans to upgrade!!!!!
0 Kudos
37 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
FYI,

The GDBT for ArcGIS 10 is now available for download:

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III
THANK YOU for continuing the GDBT!!

GDBT for ArcGIS Desktop 10 requires:

• Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4 - Found (I think) through Windows Update optional software

• Esri .NET Support Feature for ArcGIS - I'm unable to locate this software for ArcGIS V10

I did find ESRI .NET Support at the following URL, but not for V10:  www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/olap/download.html
0 Kudos
KristofVydt
New Contributor
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4* and the Esri .NET Support Feature for ArcGIS are required to successfully install the Geodatabase Toolset for ArcGIS 10.
* The default installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 4 does not include several controls necessary to run the GDBT. These controls ensure that the Spatial Index Info and the SDE User Stats function correctly. These controls will be automatically installed by the GDBT for ArcCatalog 10 installer.
(quoting http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/gdbt/system-requirements.html)

At ArcGIS Desktop 10, the .NET Support feature has been removed. The resources previously installed with the .NET Support feature are now installed as part of the core setup. (found on some other forum thread)

Kristof Vydt
Esri Certified Desktop Associate
0 Kudos
JohnMeza
New Contributor III
Correct: At ArcGIS Desktop 10, there isn't a .NET Support Feature since .NET Framework is required for Desktop install.

The GDBT System Requirements page has been updated.
0 Kudos
JimBergstrom
New Contributor II
OK, now I'm confused.  The previous posts appear to be saying that the .Net ArcGIS Support feature is NOT needed for GDBT 10 to work with ArcGIS 10, and that the GDBT System Requirements page has been updated to reflect that advice.  However, what I see on the Requirements page is instructions on how to determine whether or not the .Net Support feature is present in my install, and how to find and install if not.  That seems like a contradiction, unless I'm missing something.

In my case, after installing GDBT 10, ArcCatalog crashes every time I try to look at User Information or Spatial Index functions--and the Indexes and Statistics tool (for Oracle) (my favorite) is not even there.  When I follow the instructions on the Requirements page, I find that I have no DotNet directory, and DO NOT find the option to install .Net Support in the Change/Install screen in Add/Remove programs (or in just the ArcGIS Desktop 10 installer), as instructed.

Am I missing something here?
0 Kudos
JohnMeza
New Contributor III
.Net ArcGIS Support
Yes, that's correct:
.Net ArcGIS Support feature is NOT needed for GDBT 10 to work with ArcGIS 10. At ArcGIS 10the .Net support is now embedded within the ArcGIS install, so it doesn't exist.

I just looked at the GDBT System Requirements page:
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/gdbt/system-requirements.html
I don't see any instructions on working the .Net Support feature.

On the Download Now page:http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/extensions/gdbt/download.html
I see what you are referring to (I think). We will correct this. Sorry for the confusion.

Install Problems
Within the current GDBT for ArcGIS v10.0 install the following ActiveX controls are installed:
-COMDLG32.MSM
-MSCHRT20.MSM
-MSFLXGRD.MSM
-MSSTDFMT.MSM
-TABCTL32.MSM
I suspect these didn't install.

-What O/S are you using?
-Where there any install problems?
0 Kudos
JimBergstrom
New Contributor II
Thanks for your help, John.  You're right, I was looking at the System Requirements section (and its footnote) on the download page.

My OS is Windows XP Pro 32-bit w/ SP3.  There were no error messages or observable problems with the install of GDBT 10.

Should I just try another install and see what happens?  (I have already uninstalled GDBT and cleaned up after it.)  If I do reinstall, is there a way to verify that the ActiveX controls are or are not installed? 
Thanks again,
Jim
0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi John

I have a similar problem. I can see spatial index but when I select User Info ArcMap crash.
Where should these files be installed (What directory). Can I register them manually (using Regasm or regsvr32)?

Thanks
Mody
0 Kudos
ShannonPorter
New Contributor III
We tried the install on 3 machines in our office (all Windows 7, 64 bit).  Although no errors were returned the GDBT interface only appears on 1 of the machines.  On the other 2 the GDBT interface is missing.
0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III
Hi John

I have a similar problem. I can see spatial index but when I select User Info ArcMap crash.
Where should these files be installed (What directory). Can I register them manually (using Regasm or regsvr32)?

Thanks
Mody

I also have the same problem. I can use all the options except user Information. I must have sent at least two Error reports to ESRI when ArcCatalog crashed.
0 Kudos