Layer File losing path

1874
9
04-27-2016 09:04 AM
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I have a layer file that loses the path to the source on some files (in other words, you get the little red ! next to the layer in question).  In the case this morning the source path was still there and correct. I just clicked on “Set Data Source” and clicked the feature class that it was already pointing to and it worked.

All of the other feature classes link up correctly – even ones that are in the same File GeoDatabase. This layer file was created yesterday.

I’m using ArcGIS 10.3.1 on a Windows 7 machine. Though this has happened sporadically back through at least 10.0 – it is just annoying enough now that I figured I’d put out a query.

Thanks,

Tycho

Tags (2)
Reply
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Can you provide a screenshot of the Properties of the lyr file in ArcCatalog of the Source tab?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

It's buried pretty deep, though this happens on simple (non-grouped) layer files as well. I clipped off the bottom portion of the projection parameters (it's not a custom one) -

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

- End of images

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Have you tried adding this lyr file on a different and/or as a different person on the same machine as the security settings for this shared folder might be different for other users?

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Make sure that you have the project set to use relative paths in the map/project properties section from the file menu.

Although I have never seen a migratory layer file, unless one is saving/using files off a network drive rather than a local drive (where possible)

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Our data is on network drives (we don’t do backups of local drives, and people get upset when their hard drive crashes and all of their data is gone…).

I added this layer file to a map that I then copied over to another staff member’s template directory (the  default C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.3\MapTemplates). I normally do use relative paths; for this one I changed it to absolute. I will change it back to relative and put it on a couple more people’s machines to test. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks,

Tycho

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Tycho ... moved to Managing Data​ rather than the generic community help pool to see if anyone has other ideas

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Regular Contributor III

Is the data stored on a NAS (network attached storage) If it is that's your problem. I've had a lot of problems keeping communication with my NAS drive.

Reply
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Only our Lidar data is on a NAS. I don’t think too many users (I have 13 in total) are hitting it yet as it's a recent addition to our library. What I’ve done so far is –

Changed the path from absolute to relative

Changed the labeling from MapLex to the standard engine (there were just a few that needed that)

Changed the Lidar layerfile to 10.3 (I have a few users still using 10.2, they will have to keep using the old one). This template is just for a 10.3 user, so I’m not concerned about the change (I kept the old layerfile, of course)

I’m testing it on three different logins on different machines. At this point it appears to working, though I will bring it up once or twice a day on each machine for a few days before I call it good.

I will keep you posted…

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Well, it has now worked for three days (being opened and closed multiple times) on two different machines with two different logins, so I’m going to call it good. I would love to have changed just one parameter at a time (from the reply above) to figure out exactly what the problem was. Unfortunately, now that it works I need to move on to the next project so it will always be a bit of a mystery.

Thanks for the help and suggestions,

Tycho

Reply
0 Kudos