Geocoding apartments and getting parcel polygons.

05-12-2010 09:57 AM
ShaneLim
Occasional Contributor
I have two questions actually. I have addresses that have unit numbers at the end. Such as 910 Main st ste 220. What locator do I use? I downloaded the single address with unit but it wants a unit field in the table to geocode and I only have one address field.

Secondly when I geocode my single address parcel locator I get a point shapefile. Is there a way to get the parcel polygons as my result?

Shane
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
You'll need to parse out the apartment number of suite number of your address field. That's pretty typical when geocoding; getting the address data into a form your locator needs.

As far as getting a polygon as a result; never heard of that.  Geocoding is the process that takes non-spatial tabular data and  creates a discrete x,y location (point feature) by virtue of interpolating an address against some sort of spatial reference, be it a street, parcel, or address point.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
ShaneLim
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Joe,

I was hopeing to avoid having to modify the source address table and instead just create a different locator from my parcel data.

I can always join back to the parcel layer with the referenceID field.

Shane
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Shane:

Does the parcel data have the unit elements broken up in to separate fields? If so then if you have version 10.3+ you can use the US Address - Single House Subaddress style to create the address locator then geocode your table of addresses that have the full address "910 Main st ste 220" in a single field against the parcel based locator. Based on your reply back to Joe I wasn't sure how either the parcel reference data or input address table were formatted. A screen shot would clarify this.

-Shana

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Had the original post been more current I would have replied much the same way you did with respect to the new locators now available.  Goodness...  Six year ago; how the time gets by us....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos