Geocode service based on Composite Locator not honoring minimum match score

10-16-2013 09:58 AM
ShaunConway
Occasional Contributor II
Hello Everyone,

We are running ArcGIS Server 10.0 SP5. We have published a geocode service that is pulling from a composite geocoder in our SQL database. The service does not appear to honoring the minimum match score setting in the composite address locator. We have a address locator built against our address points, and one built against our street centerlines. Each geocoder has am minimum match score set. When these address locators are published as a geocoder service, the minimum match scores are honored. However, when the composite address locator is published as a geocoder service, the minimum match scores are ignored. For example - when a specific address is searched against the geocode service built from addres point locator, no results are shown (expected behavior). However, when that same address is input into the geocoder service generated from the composite address locator, results are returned with match scores below the minimum threshold.

This is causing a real issue as we would like for no results to be shown unless are a 100% match for the address points. This will allow a user to search for a address, if no address point is found, then the address is geocoded against the street segment.

Thanks for your help,
Shaun
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

Shaun,  

Did you ever find an answer to this?  I've got the same problem in reverse - I want the matches to allow for looser text matches.  It works fine in arc map/catalog where it is built, but in my case when I deploy to runtime it only gets a match if the text is entered exactly.  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Mikkel:

What version of ArcGIS Desktop and Server are you using?

What type of locators participate in the composite locator that was published and used in runtime?

Do you get the same behavior with the composite geocode service when used outside of runtime like the map viewer for ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS version 10.3.1

The composite locator is made of three sub-locators:

1. Single Field address locator running against customer premise data

2. Gazeteer single field running against a road intersection table created by the customer (This is the one having problems)

3. Single field ESRI Address locator

I have not tried the composite locator in map viewer for AGOL. 

When I put just the intersection locator in the runtime, the same problem persists.  

If I enter the exact value for one of the intesections, it finds the location with a match score of 100. ("Marigold St & Pansy St").  If I change very small changes to the spelling, I can continue to find locations with lower scores (85 is the lowest I have found).  The min score on my locator is supposed to be 70, as I don't want the users to have to include St, Ave, etc. after the name, and should be able to enter the street names in either order.  This works as expected in ArcMap, but not in the runtime, and I think it is the score being overridden.  

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Have you tried using a Dual Range locator based on street lines for the intersections rather than a Gazetteer for the intersections and use the Dual Range in runtime? The Gazetteer style was not intended to address intersection searches and the geocoding rules associated with the Gazetteer style expect an exact match. Do you encounter the same behavior when the Gazetteer is the only locator used in runtime? 

0 Kudos
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

We have not tried the dual range locator, as the customer had their own intersections point table built and wanted to use that.  The runtime behavior is the same if I use just the intersection locator as when it is included with the composite locator

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Mikkel:

Do you also encounter the same behavior in runtime if using the Single Field style with the intersection points?

Just to clarify when you tested the composite and individual Gazetteer locator in ArcMap was that with the local locator or the geocode service via an ArcGIS Server connection?

Do you encounter the same behavior when using the composite or solo Gazetteer in ArcGIS Pro?

-Shana

0 Kudos