FIX YOUR TRACE TOOL!!

05-07-2014 11:37 AM
ArthurKretzschmar
New Contributor II
The trace tool in ArcGIS 10.2.1.3497 does not work all the time, or is very finicky about it when it does.  I have been trying the whole day to encompass an area that is about 100 sq meters using the trace function from parcel lines so that I can create an easement.  However, no matter what I do, the trace tool never even shows that its tracing.  The few remote random times I do get it to start tracing, I have to pan around and this causes it to "break".  I have shutdown and restarted numerous times, and am completely frustrated at this point.  I even tried to use the old method (which worked all the time ESRI *cough, cough) of selecting what I'd like to trace and it still will not pick that it is supposed to be tracing that.  I've come to the point where I am drawing multiple polygons and merging them together, but still have not managed to finish off this area.

I have checked for geometry issues and have checked to make sure that all nodes are snapped together.  I have also tried drawing a polygon in another layer in the hopes that I could just get that to work and then copy/paste/merge them.  No go on that either.

Please fix your tools so they work the way they are supposed to.

~a frustrated GIS Senior Analyst
Tags (2)
10 Replies
AndrewQuee
Occasional Contributor III

Without looking at your data, it's impossible to tell what the problem is.  As others have said, look very carefully at snapping, visibility and topology issues.  Also, simplify your editing environment - get rid of all layers and features to you do not need for this specific edit.  If necessary, copy all your 'background' features you want to trace into one layer and use this alone as a standalone single edit.

As John Sobetzer​ said, you also do not need to complete the entire edit operation in one pass.  If you can that's great, if not, you might need to 'build up' the edit using a variety of smaller operations, possibly creating sub-parcels that you can later merge into your final shape.

It's also worth mentioning that there's several ways of killing the proverbial cat without using cream (trace). 

If your area is so small, I'd be looking at either overlaying a larger shape and using geometry operations to clip back to the edge you need, or a smaller one and using reshape edge to selected geometry if trace just isn't working..

0 Kudos