Field calculator returns null values

10-31-2018 02:34 PM
RachelDiPietro
New Contributor II

I am attempting to do calculations for a series of radar shapefiles using the Field Calculator. The ten shapefiles cover a total of five radars over two seasons. However, I am having problems doing the calculation for three of the five radars across both seasons. The field calculator operates the exact same way and I am using the exact same code across all radars. For the radars that I don't have calculations for, the Field Calculator just returns null values. I compared the results in the geoprocessing window for a radar that returned calculated values and a radar that returned null values, and found no difference between them. Essentially, ArcMap thinks it successfully completed the calculation for these three radars when it actually didn't.

Here is the code I am using:

[rosgeo_sine_fall_abs] / [EucDist_IL_radars]

What is causing this problem, and how can I fix it?

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

Double-check the field datatypes of the expression and result fields.

RachelDiPietro
New Contributor II

No differences in field data types between the ones that worked and the ones that didn't. Input was one Double and one Float, output was Double, and that was the same across the board.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Make sure none of your EucDist_IL_radars values are 0 (zero) or <null> as well. (Although I would think you'd get an error...)

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
RachelDiPietro
New Contributor II

That was it! Thank you! Strange that there wasn't an error, but it's resolved now, so that's what matters.

0 Kudos