Select to view content in your preferred language

Moving multiple Point features at once

02-06-2013 01:11 AM
RobNaitachal
New Contributor
Hi,

is there a way to move multiple point features at once in a specfied direction and distance? So far i have only figured out how to just select multiple points and then drag them around with the mouse which is way to unprecise for my needs.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnSobetzer
Frequent Contributor
Use Editor -Move after selecting your points in an edit session.
0 Kudos
JoshuaDamron
Occasional Contributor III
It sounds like you don't just want to select and move a bunch of objects but you want to move them to a specific location and a snapping tool would help.

You should check out this Help Moving a feature and snapping it to another feature:http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/by_dragging_and_snapping_to_another_fe...

When I was first shown that you can move a snapping anchor for precise relocation of a feature it dramatically improved my work flow, I hope this helps you out as well.  In that same Help section there's also info about moving features based on x, y coordinates.

Post back if you have any other questions or if I missed your question entirely.
0 Kudos
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Rob,

the methods John and Joshua suggested will work fine if you know the X-Y offset.  However, if it is really a direction-distance move then you need a reference vector and use Spatial Adjustment.  Bit more complicated, here's how:

1. create a 2 point polyline corresponding to the direction - distance (right click after starting to draw) you want to move points (i.e. a vector).
2. use the copy features tool in advanced editing and replicate and separate the lines so you have 3 parallel "vectors"
3. set SNAPPING on the endpoints of the "vector" line feature class
4. switch editing to the points and select the points you want to move
5. in Spatial Adjustment leave Adjust Data as selected features and adjustment method as affine
6.  snap the spatial adjustment link tool in sequence on each of the 3 "vectors" in the direction you want the move (an affine transformation needs a minimum of 3 links)
7. hit adjust in Spatial Adjustment

with the vectors set up you could always move the points exactly back by reversing the links.
If that is too complicated use trig and calculate the X-Y offset and do it with Move.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Regular Contributor

Hardolph Wasteneys,

I just wanted to say thanks so much for the solution you posted. I have been trying all sorts of tools trying to move a shoreline feature a certain distance and angle. I tried buffer, copy parallel, it feels like the works but none of the tools provided the results I needed. Basically I needed a line from a point onshore to be a certain distance which seems so easy but when you buffer and measure at a latitude from the point on shore to the buffered line it is not the correct distance. So I tried the workflow you provided and it worked!!!

Thanks SO much!,

Kathy

0 Kudos