Failed to paste <dataset>

03-20-2014 07:25 AM
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Hello -

I'm trying to copy/paste a File Geodatabase into an Oracle SDE Instance running in Windows 7.  There are 61 classes in the FGDB.  When it hits about the 6th class I get the error:

Underlying DBMS error

From there I'm trying to find out what kind of error was encountered.  I've looked in the Windows Event Viewer but can't find anything there.   Is there another location where I could find more details about the error?

Thanks,
Ed
0 Kudos
13 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hello -

I'm trying to copy/paste a File Geodatabase into an Oracle SDE Instance running in Windows 7.  There are 61 classes in the FGDB.  When it hits about the 6th class I get the error:

Underlying DBMS error

From there I'm trying to find out what kind of error was encountered.  I've looked in the Windows Event Viewer but can't find anything there.   Is there another location where I could find more details about the error?

Thanks,
Ed

Copying and pasting a FGDB into SDE seems like a lot to ask.  My suggestion is  to import your feature classes from the FGDB into SDE with the import multiple feature classes utility.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
Copying and pasting a FGDB into SDE seems like a lot to ask.  My suggestion is  to import your feature classes from the FGDB into SDE with the import multiple feature classes utility.

Joe -

Thanks for the reply.   I've actually done this with success in the past.  Don't know why I'm getting the error now -- except that the dataset I'm trying to paste this time is a bit larger than others I've done in the past.   And I think I need to since the source FGDB has a geometric network that I'd like to keep - and not have to re-build in the Oracle database.

Ed
0 Kudos
EmadAl-Mousa
Occasional Contributor III
when you pasted to the sde geodatabase , what configuration keyword have you chosen ?
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
FeatureDatasets in SDE spell trouble for me. I wonder if somebody is using the data within the featuredataset within the fgdb and that's the cause of your error.  Is it published? 

I really suggest re-thinking using anything within a featuredataset in SDE.  The problem with locks and permissions make them a problem child.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
You're using direct connect to establish the connection to your enterprise geodatabase, right?  We need to capture the Oracle error code before knowing what the issue might be according to your database. 

What does the following log file say?
C:\Users\<your_user_ID>\AppData\Local\Temp\sdedc_Oracle.log

What do your Oracle database Alert log files show?
Typically located at C:\oracle\diag\rdbms\<db_name>\<db_name>\alert\log.xml
Typically located at C:\oracle\diag\rdbms\<db_name>\<db_name>\trace\alert_<db_name>.log

Note: Replace <db_name> with the name of your Oracle database SID.
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
You're using direct connect to establish the connection to your enterprise geodatabase, right?  We need to capture the Oracle error code before knowing what the issue might be according to your database. 

What does the following log file say?
C:\Users\<your_user_ID>\AppData\Local\Temp\sdedc_Oracle.log

What do your Oracle database Alert log files show?
Typically located at C:\oracle\diag\rdbms\<db_name>\<db_name>\alert\log.xml
Typically located at C:\oracle\diag\rdbms\<db_name>\<db_name>\trace\alert_<db_name>.log

Note: Replace <db_name> with the name of your Oracle database SID.

Thanks much for the suggestion!

I am using direct-connect to connect to the Geodatabase.  However I don't see a file named "sdedc_Oracle.log" under \AppData\Local\Temp".  In fact, I searched my whole C:\ drive and can't find a file by that name.

Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
As a test I truncated all the tables in the File Geodatabase to see if I am encountering some size-related problem.  This also required that I drop the geometric network present in the FGDB dataset.

After dropping the geometric network and truncating all tables in the File Geodatabase I was able to copy/past from the FGDB into the SDE database.  I take from this that my problem IS somehow related to the size of the database I'm trying to copy/paste.

Ed
0 Kudos
EdwardBlair
Occasional Contributor
I just found the Oracle alert log -- file is named alert_orcl.log.  Near the bottom is the following fragment that may be associated with the "Underyling DBMS Error" I experienced initially:

Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 685 (LGWR switch)
  Current log# 1 seq# 685 mem# 0: C:\APP\ED\ORADATA\ORCL\REDO01.LOG
Thu Mar 20 10:53:07 2014

Fatal NI connect error 12638, connecting to:
(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))

VERSION INFORMATION:
TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
  Time: 20-MAR-2014 10:53:07
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    ns main err code: 12638

TNS-12638: Credential retrieval failed
    ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 0
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
Thu Mar 20 10:53:13 2014
AUD: OS Error = 1717 encountered while writing audit record
opidcl aborting process unknown ospid (4676) as a result of ORA-28056
opidcl aborting process unknown ospid (6924) as a result of ORA-28056
opidcl aborting process unknown ospid (7624) as a result of ORA-28056
opidcl aborting process unknown ospid (8076) as a result of ORA-28056
Thu Mar 20 10:53:16 2014
opidcl aborting process unknown ospid (7164) as a result of ORA-28056

Not sure how to interpret this, though.  Since some of the messages refer the REDO log is it possible I need to increase size allocated to REDO logs?

Ed
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I'm not sure that any of those errors are related to your issue, either.  That being said, I don't know enough about the timeline of when these errors occurred and when you attempted the copy/paste where it failed thereafter.  If you're using direct connect, the sdedc_Oracle.log file should be somewhere on your machine.  Are you using direct connect or the ArcSDE application service to connect to your enterprise geodatabase?  It would also be good to get the exact version of your RDBMS and ArcGIS/ArcSDE software before going any further.
0 Kudos